One thing I’m thankful for: This display in the Country Shop in Winnetka’s windows. | Sun-Times file photo
Michael Sneed’s annual list, begun more than 30-years ago, comes as we are a nation in the grips of a pandemic and split politically.
Once again, it’s time for Sneed’s annual Thanksgiving gratitude list — begun … more than 30 years ago!
The list once lauded good deeds by good dudes, but eventually turned in a different direction: giving thanks for the many things we take for granted.
The world may be in the midst of a catastrophic rough go, our country splitting along political lines despite the election of a new president, our city reeling from the epidemic of gun violence and the COVID contagion.
And who would have figured the word “subpoena” has now become so common, spellcheck is no longer necessary.
So let us give thanks for family returning to the Thanksgiving table this week, for the wisdom to deal with the unexpected and gratitude for the things we take for granted.
Such as …
• Forgiveness. Empathy.
• Mental health.
• Magical thinking.
• Reciting an entire poem out loud.
• Making a new friend.
• Trusting someone enough to share a secret.
• A sweet dream.
• Sunrise anywhere.
• Birdsong, especially the meadowlark.
• Living in the present; finding joy in the past … and letting go of what wasn’t.
• Good knees (please).
• Live music and live theater … among vaccinated crowds.
• The socialization of school … safely.
• Takeout; transportation; technology … used wisely.
• The freedom of a car; stops along the road.
• Separating fools from folly.
• Trees … and a giant cottonwood tree growing among the detritus near the intersection of Willow Road and the Edens Expressway.
• A brave heart; a kind heart.
• Fireflies; grasshoppers; the chirrup of crickets at night; bees; owls; frogs.
• A cherished children’s book: “Tubby the Tuba” … and what could be a lesson to our fractured citizenry when Tubby sings, “If I went away from me, how unhappy I would be.”
• “The Song of Wandering Aengus” by poet William Butler Yeats; the poems of Elizabeth Bishop and Mary Oliver.
• The comfort of animals. My pandemic pup pals Pip and Two-Two.
• A vodka martini.
• The memory of mom’s mincemeat pie.
• Time off. Timeout.
• Newspapers, always.
• Truth. Candor. Tempered by understanding.
• A smile on a policeman’s face … especially in a mask.
• A perfect sentence. A great first paragraph.
• Adjectives. Atonement.
• Quiet. Silence.
• Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
• A father’s legacy; my garden. The lovely month my mother was born and her namesake: June.
• Laughter. The hysterical kitchen scene in the film “Moonstruck.”
• Close friends. And just friends. And childhood friends, who knew what you were like at 13, keeping you humbled.
• The Missouri River.
• A prairie childhood in a town with a name listed nowhere else in the world: Mandan, North Dakota.
• The acidity of a fresh garden tomato; tree peonies. …read more
Source:: Chicago Sun Times
Celebrities React To Kanye West - Donda (Official Album)
Celebrities React To Kanye West - Donda (Official Album) Kanye West Finally Releases “ Donda ” Album on August 29,2021 instead of September 3rd, 2021. The album features 27 songs in total including "Hurricane," "Praise God," "Moon," and "New Again" and comes with a runtime of 108 minutes and 59 seconds. However, the track "Jail pt 2" is not currently streamable. Kanye West’s highly anticipated 10th studio album spans 26 songs and has features from Travis Scott , Jay Z , Kid Cudi , The Weeknd, Lil Baby and more. Donda is named after Kanye West's late mother Donda West , who died at the age of 58 following plastic surgery complications in 2007. The record is West's first since the release of his 2019 gospel album Jesus Is King, which earned him a best contemporary Christian album Grammy. In Todays’ video we’re going to be showing you celebrities' reactions to “ Kanye West - Donda (Official Album) “ What do yall think of the album? Leave your thoughts down below! Don’t forget to give this video a thumbs up, subscribe to the channel, and hit that bell icon so you don't miss out on any future videos!