Usa news

Channel 4 removes all Married at First UK episodes after rape claims

London, UNITED KINGDOM: The logo of Britain's Channel 4 television station is pictured at the company's headquarters in central London, 18 January 2007. Carphone Warehouse, the main backer of Channel 4's reality television show 'Celebrity Big Brother,' pulled its support Thursday as complaints about alleged racist bullying spiralled and criticism mounted. Mobile communications retailer the Carphone Warehouse said it had told broadcaster Channel 4 to remove its name and branding from the programme with immediate effect, saying it did not want to be associated with it. But Channel 4 chief executive Andy Duncan said Thursday they "could not say with certainty" that the comments directed at 31-year-old Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty were racist or whether they stemmed from "broader cultural or social differences". And he rejected calls for the show to be pulled off air. AFP PHOTO/CARL DE SOUZA (Photo credit should read CARL DE SOUZA/AFP via Getty Images)
Channel 4 has announced a review into the reality series Married At First Sight UK (Picture: AFP)

Channel 4 has removed all previous seasons of Married At First Sight UK from its streaming platforms after two women said they were raped during filming.

The broadcaster has announced today a review, which was commissioned in April, into contributor welfare on the series following ‘very serious allegations of wrongdoing’.

MAFS UK, which is produced by independent production company CPL, is a reality series that sees single people – matched by experts – ‘marry’ strangers who they meet for the first time on their wedding day.

In a BBC Panorama investigation, two women have said they were raped while a third described an allegation of a non-consensual sex act.

All of the women said that the show did not do enough to protect them, according to BBC News.

Priya Dogra, Chief Executive of Channel 4, said in a statement: ‘I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married at First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

‘It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.

‘Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on. We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved.

‘On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.

‘Nevertheless, because we aspire to the highest standards of contributor welfare, I felt strongly as Channel 4’s new CEO that it was right that we look again at how we handled issues raised at the time and ask whether changes should be made to further strengthen contributor welfare.

‘That’s why last month I commissioned an external review of contributor welfare on MAFS UK. That review will report to me in the coming months.

‘We take these issues very seriously and are committed to ensuring that we continue to lead the industry in our duty of care for contributors.’

Married at First Sight UK is one of Channel 4’s most popular reality TV series (Picture: Channel 4)

Elsewhere in Channel 4’s statement, the broadcaster said that MAFS UK is produced ‘under some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry’.

The corporation also said that it was presented in April with ‘serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied’.

Responding to whether there has been a failure in welfare protocols, Channel 4 added: ‘when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.

‘Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary. Notwithstanding the actions taken at the time, Channel 4’s recently appointed CEO, Priya Dogra instructed an external review of contributor welfare on MAFS UK last month. This review is now underway.’

The show sees two complete strangers marry in a mock-wedding (Picture: Getty Images)

Within this review there are said to be two elements – the first of which will examine the welfare protocols in place on this programme at the time claims were raised.

The second is the handling by Channel 4 and CPL of those claims.

Alongside the lawyer-led review, Channel 4 has also commissioned an external industry expert to examine if any changes should be made to current protocols for MAFS UK to further strengthen contributor welfare.

The corporation said it expects the review to report in the coming months and will share a summary of findings and recommendations at the appropriate time.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

Exit mobile version