
A Married at First Sight UK contestant’s episode aired on the Channel 4 show while he was reportedly on bail for domestic violence allegations.
The contributor, who has not been named for legal reasons, is said to have been arrested for an allegation he assaulted his ex five days before his appearance on the show aired.
It has now been reported that Channel 4 were told by the alleged victim’s family that the man had been arrested, but producers decided to go ahead with airing the programme.
A senior executive is reported to have told the family, ‘We are not judge and jury’, according to a report in The Sun.
The man was not charged and was later told by police, following an investigation, that he would face no further action, according to a statement from Channel 4.
The alleged victim, who has also not been identified for legal reasons, is said to have been left with black eyes and broken ribs. She also claims that her ex attacked her dog.
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video
She reportedly told friends she ‘felt sick’ seeing her ex in trailers for his appearance on MAFS UK.
A friend of the family told The Sun: ‘They tried to warn Channel 4 that the contestant had been arrested over domestic violence accusations and that they should axe the episode but they were ignored.
‘It seemed like bosses were more worried about their ratings. Contestant welfare should take priority. There should have been a more rigorous safeguarding system. This show needs to be shut down.’
In an email reportedly seen by the publication, a representative of the broadcaster is said to have stated that MAFS UK stars are ‘subject to a rigorous, stringent vetting process’ and the man’s DBS check had come back clear.
They also allegedly said that the welfare concerns were being taken seriously and were reportedly put in touch with a show executive.
Channel 4 said in a statement to Metro: ‘The allegations against this individual were not related to his time on the show.
‘He was arrested after filming had completed, not charged, and following an investigation the police took no further action. The allegations were reported on by the press at the time.’
It comes after Channel 4 has decided to press ahead with making the upcoming all-star spin-off of MAFS UK, following the BBC’s reporting of two women’s claims that they were raped while filming the dating show, as well as a third woman’s allegation that she had been assaulted.
The broadcaster reportedly held crisis talks on Monday over the BBC investigation, with all previous seasons of the show removed from streaming.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.