The mother of a teenager who was groomed by Huw Edwards is appalled that the broadcaster is reportedly in talks to give an interview to Channel 4.
Edwards, 64, was sentenced to a six-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, in September 2024 after admitting to three counts of making indecent images of children.
Now, however, the former BBC News at Ten host is said to be in talks to make his first TV interview since the sentencing.
Last night, the mother of the teenager who first blew the whistle on Edwards, told The Sun on Sunday: ‘It’s absolutely disgusting Channel 4 has given a convicted paedophile a platform.
‘I don’t understand what he has to say — or what his side of the story really is.
‘Who wants to hear that? And why would they agree to it?
‘Whatever he says there’s no excuse for how he behaved — haven’t we been through enough?’
Earlier this week, Channel 4 came under fire over allegations of a rape made by contestants on their hit series Married at First Sight UK.
Now, the publicly owned broadcaster is set to be risking fresh controversy by working with convicted sex offender Edwards, the Sunday Times report.
In 2023, Edwards was suspended by the BBC after it was revealed he had groomed a young man on social media and paid him thousands of pounds for explicit images.
Last month, the disgraced news presenter slammed Channel 5’s new drama about him and promised to share his own version of events.
Discussing Power: The Downfall of Huw Edwards, starring Martin Clunes, he said: ‘Much has been written and reported in the past week following Channel 5’s one-sided account.
‘Other opportunities will arise later this year for me to state my case and to challenge the misleading or fabricated claims made in recent coverage.
‘A number of serious questions still remain to be answered, and not just by me. It will now take some time for me to produce my own account, and until then I do not intend to comment any further.’
Edwards also claimed that the network made ‘no attempt to check with me the truth of any aspect of their narrative’.
Metro has contacted Channel 4 for comment.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.