Randy Orton is making his return this weekend (Picture: WWE)
WWE legend Randy Orton is back and will return to the ring at Survivor Series: WarGames.
The Apex Predator had been out of action for a long 18 months after undergoing surgery which appeared like it could have ended his iconic career, but he’s not hanging up his boots just yet.
On this week’s episode of Monday Night Raw, the former world champion was officially named the fifth and final member of Team Cody for WarGames.
Adam Pearce had given Cody and his teammates Sami Zayn, Seth Rollins and Jey Uso until the end of the night to find a fifth man to take on Judgment Day’s Damian Priest, Finn Balor, Dominik Mysterio and JD McDonagh).
The American Nightmare had a friend he could call, and later teased the ‘legacy’ he had with the mystery man, before referencing the Apex Predator – one of Orton’s many nicknames – and eventually naming him to a massive reaction.
Orton has been out of action for a year and a half, having last wrestled on the May 20, 2022 episode of SmackDown when he and Matt Riddle lost to The Usos in a Raw Tag Team Title bout.
Orton is heading to WarGames with Seth Rollins, Jey Uso, Cody Rhodes and Sami Zayn (Picture: WWE)
A week after the tag match on SmackDown, WWE said in the statement: ‘Randy Orton is currently undergoing consultations with neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons to determine the extent of his injury and to recommend course of treatment.’
He underwent back fusion surgery, and there has been plenty of speculation about his future, including whether or not he’d be physically able to get back in the ring.
Back in September, there was fresh hope for a sensational in-ring return for the wrestling veteran after rare footage emerged of him arriving at WWE’s Performance Center in Orlando, Florida.
In the clip – which was posted by Wrestle Ops on X (Twitter), having received it from a fan – Orton looked in great shape as he waved to a cheering group of supporters.
It’s a remarkable turnaround after the 14-time world champion’s father ‘Cowboy’ Bob Orton has provided an update on his son back in May and explained that while he has been training, he has been warned against getting back in the ring.
Speaking to SportsKeeda’s Bill Apter, he said: ‘He’s training so we’ll see what happens. I don’t know if he feels like going back. If he feels like going back or if he feels like he’s ready to go back, I think he might.
‘Then again, he’s pretty well taken care of. I don’t think he needs to. I think the doctors have told him not to.’
WWE Survivor Series: WarGames airs Saturday (November 25) at 1am on the WWE Network.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.