Usa news

UK’s Eurovision entry sets record straight over moment he was ‘abandoned’

Look Mum No Computer has explained why he was left alone during Eurovision (Pictures: AP/ X)

The UK’s Eurovision act Look Mum No Computer has revealed to Metro what really happened after he was left ‘abandoned’ by his team.

The 2026 Eurovision Grand Final was held on Saturday night – with Bulgaria’s Dara taking home the trophy with her song Bangaranga.

Like the past two years, the UK failed to be awarded any points in the public vote, ending the contest in second last place.

However, the night before during the Jury Show, photos started circulating online of Sam Battle – who performs under the stage name Look Mum No Computer – who had apparently been left without any support from his own team.

Following the Flag Parade, Sam was seen sitting alone in the Green Room, before being welcomed by the Danish delegation.

Video showed the moment a member of Denmark’s team approached Sam and offered him a seat at their table, which he accepted and then squeezed onto their already crowded sofa.

Sam Battle placed second last in the contest this year (Picture: AP Photo/ Martin Meissner)

After the clip picked up traction, many slammed the UK delegation and said they were ‘appalled’ the musician had been ‘abandoned’.

However, in an exclusive interview with Metro following the contest, Sam has pushed back against the misrepresentation of what actually happened.

‘It was complete misinformation and it blew my mind a bit!’ he said.

‘It was just after the Flag Parade, and it was just badly communicated for some reason. It’s quite chaotic over there and I ended up sitting alone. But there were areas where people didn’t take photos and Poland and Moldova and a few others were alone too,’ he shared.

‘Denmark was the only one that had a lot of people there and I think that was down to the fact they chose to have their friends and family in the Green Room, but I felt it was more important to have my dancers and the people really invested in it sitting there.

‘But the thing is – they were all getting ready and practising around the back. They just told us there was no Green Room rehearsal at that stage, but plans changed, and then I ended up sitting alone. Which I was perfectly fine with, I am happy sitting alone – I wasn’t glum. The Danish people were nice and friendly too.’

During a show he was seen alone in the Green Room before the Danish delegation welcomed him (Picture: X)

Sam also revealed that some photos circulating online showing him sitting with his head in his hands were actually AI generated and ‘completely fake’.

Despite only walking away with one point – which was awarded by Ukraine’s jury – Sam said he had no regrets about signing up to represent his country.

‘It was always my aim to do it. I never had the aim of winning. It would have been nice to do well, but at the same time my main focus was to do it for the experience,’ he said.

After waiting for the results and becoming the third UK act in three years to be snubbed by the public, Sam admitted he laughed and thought it was ‘funny’.

‘I was thinking there could have been the potential for more points. However, I am just happy the BBC celebrated a niche project and genre. It was a bit of fun and was always going to be a risk. I had those “Look Mum No Points” T-shirts prepared, and the point actually ruined my blooming T-shirt!’ he declared.

The day after the contest wrapped up, Sam delighted many with his light-hearted take on his low score and confirmed plans to sell tops that poked fun at himself – however they had a big error.

‘WHILST NOT TECHNICALLY CORRECT…….. as it is EINS points off. but they are now available!’ he posted on Instagram alongside a photo of the product.

Asked if it was too much hassle to update them, he laughed before explaining: ‘I’d already ordered them. I wasn’t expecting no points but at the same time, it wasn’t outside the realm of possibilities. And it had a good ring to it.’

‘They are selling really well which is good,’ he added. ‘It’s good to get some money from this, which is nice! People seem to enjoy the sentiment.’

The musician said he didn’t have any regrets over competing (Picture: AP)

Addressing the Ukrainian jury, he quipped they ‘needed to have their ears checked’, appearing to joke that his song Eins, Zwei, Drei was given more credit than it deserved.

During the Grand Final, Sam was the only act that could be seen standing and clapping for all of his competitors, which he now says was something he ‘had to go’.

‘To me it wasn’t a competition – it was just about the fact I got there and got to experience the day and meet all of these people, who were all very nice. I thought it was important to show fully the respect and acknowledge them doing well,’ he explained.

Speaking about the most memorable moments of the week, Sam singled out the crew working on the show, calling them the ‘unsung heroes’, who had a tight 45-seconds to roll props on and off the stage between performances.

His own staging involved 12 desks, a keyboard and multiple synthesizer panels – all of which have now arrived at his house in Ramsgate, Kent.

‘I’m looking at all the props wondering what the heck I do with them all. They just turned up yesterday and sods law, they turned up at the same time I’ve decided to rearrange my workshop, so it’s literally a table of stuff,’ he laughed.

The 2026 contest was won by Bulgaria’s Dara (Picture: Hannibal/ Hanschke/ EPA)

‘With the tables I am going to chop the legs off and putting them as panels on the ceiling of the museum I run – This Museum is (Not) Obsolete. All the props will be there. The keyboard prop, I’ll be making a video series making it into a fully working synthesizer.’

Reflecting on performing to over 150 million people around the world, Sam said Eurovision was a ‘memory blur that I will hold dearly until the end of my days’.

As for what’s next? Sam is still staying busy – planning on building an instrument he designed while in Vienna, focus on his wife and their newborn son Max, and undertake a tour later this year.

Despite the full calendar, he’s still upbeat and taking everything in his stride, saying he’s also planning to ‘just go with the flow’.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

Exit mobile version