A federal judge handed Trump and Michael Cohen a setback after a wild day in court

News

michael cohen

A federal judge on Monday denied President Trump’s and his lawyer Michael Cohen’s requests to block the Justice Department from reviewing documents they seized during an FBI raid on Cohen’s property last week.
Judge Kimba Wood held off on determining whether an FBI “taint team” will suffice to review seized documents, or whether an independent lawyer, known as a special master, should be appointed.
Monday’s hearing had no dearth of colorful exchanges.
They included: the shock reveal of an anonymous Cohen client, a prosecutor’s quip about Cohen having more attorneys than clients, and the judge’s implication that Cohen’s attorneys have “miscited the law at times.”

NEW YORK — On Monday, a federal judge blocked President Donald Trump’s and his longtime personal lawyer Michael Cohen’s request to prohibit federal prosecutors from reviewing documents they seized during an FBI raid of Cohen’s property last week.

Cohen’s lawyers requested both a temporary restraining order and a preliminary injunction against the US government. Both motions sought to prevent prosecutors from reviewing documents and records that had been seized in the raids of Cohen’s home, office, and hotel room.

Cohen’s lawyers want to go over the documents and tapes and shield from prosecutors any they deem privileged. Cohen also proposed, as an alternative, that an independent lawyer, or special master, review the files first.

In addition to documents and records, investigators also obtained a search warrant to seize Cohen’s electronic devices and communications between Cohen and Trump. The raid was conducted as part of a federal criminal investigation into Cohen. He is being investigated for bank fraud, wire fraud, and violations of election law.

Lawyers separately representing Cohen’s and Trump’s interests first asked the US district court in Manhattan to block the Justice Department from reviewing the seized communications last week.

Judge Kimba Wood postponed making a decision until Monday’s hearing.

On Monday, Wood denied the temporary restraining order because lawyers representing the Manhattan US attorney’s office said they have not looked substantively at the documents that were obtained. Instead, they said, those documents are currently being reviewed by a “taint team” — a group of separate investigators walled off from prosecutors, who are primarily responsible for separating out materials that fall under attorney-client privilege.

Wood said she trusted that the Southern District of New York’s “integrity is unimpeachable,” adding that she thought the use of a “taint team” is a viable option.

But she said she would hold off on making a decision about the preliminary injunction until the court reconvenes at a later date. However, she appeared to lean in the direction of appointing a special master.

Meanwhile, Joanna Hendon, an attorney representing Trump’s interests in the case, pushed back against the appointment of a special master. Hendon argued that a special master does not have the right to view privileged materials pertaining to Trump.

Wood dismissed Hendon’s argument, saying it fell outside the scope of what was being debated in the case.

After deciding on a course of action, Wood said that to get the process going, prosecutors must turn over materials that were seized from last …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *