Usa news

After second half slump, White Sox All-Star Tristan Peters credits more patient approach for return to form

In providing excellent center field defense and staying healthy, while making the league minimum, Tristan Peters has given the White Sox every bit the Luis Robert Jr. replacement they wanted.

But it’s the .301/.354/.478 first half batting line that made Peters an American League All-Star. That sort of breakout produces a reaction from the league.

“They’re just throwing me a lot more offspeed because I hammered fastballs,” Peters said to the Sun-Times. “Honestly, they were just pitching me well around the corners and stuff too.”

For a 26-year-old rookie who had never crushed Triple-A pitching to such a degree, the Sox coaching staff was not stunned by Peters encountering some regression. They just hoped it would arrive more gently than a 4-for-48 skid to open the second half.

The Sox liked Peters in the offseason for his track record of swing decisions, but chasing at pitches out of the strike zone over 30 percent of the time indicated he would come down from his strong start. That he entered this weekend batting .286/.388/.452 in August is owed to returning to a more patient approach.

“I always like jumping the first pitch, but at the same time, making that a smaller zone that I’m looking for,” Peters said. “It’s more where I’m chasing, is the bigger issue than how much chasing. If I’m chasing up, that means my approach is in the right spot.”

Doyle ready to make adjustments

Despite losing Robert’s fourth inning fly to center in the lights, Brenton Doyle’s defensive bonafides were well-established upon his arrival at the trade deadline. But in acquiring the two-time Gold Glove winner from the Rockies to be Peters’ right-handed platoon partner, the White Sox had a plan to improve Doyle’s offense.

“Definitely did throw some things right away, but they’re not anything crazy substantial to where I feel uncomfortable with it,” said Doyle, who has moved his hands farther from his head in his setup. “Being a long and kind of lanky guy, I always thought I needed to overcompensate, staying super tight. But at the same time, I could use my long limbs as an advantage and create some more space and a little bit more torque and bat speed.”

Outside his 23-homer campaign in 2024, Doyle has been a well below-average major league hitter. To his credit, that has made him willing to install some changes right away.

“His willingness ever since Day 1 when he got here to say, ‘I feel like what I did in ‘24, I haven’t done since then, and I want to know why,’ that’s cool,” said hitting coach Derek Shomon. “There’s an open door to have some real, honest conversations.”

Charlotte awaits for Martin and Teel

Starter Davis Martin has two bullpens scheduled (Saturday and Tuesday) before heading out to Triple-A Charlotte for a rehab assignment as he works back from a blister on his right middle finger. He might only need one rehab start.

Catcher Kyle Teel (left ankle sprain) is scheduled to run the bases this weekend, and likely begin a rehab assignment next week. Will Venable did not promise it would be a short one.

“With the injuries he’s had, kind of the stop-and-go of his year, you really just want to make sure that he’s a good spot,” the Sox manager said.

Exit mobile version