Boy, 14, killed in sword attack went to same school as Nottingham stabbing victim

The boy was killed near Hainault Tube station yesterday morning (Picture: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)

The 14-year-old boy stabbed to death with a sword in a terrifying unprovoked attack in Hainault went to same school as Nottingham stabbing victim Grace O’Malley Kumar.

The boy was killed near Hainault Tube station yesterday morning after a man crashed his van and stabbed five people in an untargeted attack.

He attended private school Bancroft’s in Woodford Green, where Ms O’Malley-Kumar, who was stabbed to death in June, was a former student.

The school’s flag is flying at half mast today.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed the schoolboy was unknown to the attacker.

A science teacher at the Holy Family Catholic School in Waltham has been confirmed to be the mum of the boy.

In a letter to parents, the school said Mrs Anjorin’s son was ‘taken from this life suddenly’ on his way to school.

The statement read: ‘Dear Parents/Carers, It is with great sadness that I share with you the news of the death of the child of one of our staff members.

‘Mrs Anjorin’s son was taken from this life suddenly this morning on his way to school.

He attended private school Bancroft’s in Woodford Green (Picture: Alamy Stock Photo)

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5

Up Next

The suspect can be seen wielding a sword outside people’s homes

‘Please keep Mrs Anjorin, her husband and their other children in your prayers. Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.’

Ms O’Malley-Kumar’s parents, said on Good Morning Britain, they hope to offer their support to the boy’s family.

Her father Dr Sanjoy Kumar said: ‘You can’t even imagine what the parents are going through. It’s the most difficult thing for the parents to endure. We’ve been enduring this for many months now.

‘I can tell you that the distraught the family are feeling is only felt by a few like us that have lost children in these absolutely appalling circumstances.’

Four other victims, including two police officers, remain in hospital but their conditions are not believed to be life-threatening.

A 36-year-old man remains in hospital after he was arrested 22 minutes following the first 999 call.

Officers have not yet been able to interview him due to his injuries.

Neighbour James Fernando, who witnesses the attack, recalled the moment Daniel, was killed.

He said the suspect has asked one of his neighbours to ‘take the telephone from him to tell whoever was on the phone his location’.

He added: ‘Within two seconds after that she’s realised something isn’t right, started running and he’s pulled a samurai sword from the back of his trouser.

He attended the same school as Grace O’Malley-Kumar

Ms O’Malley-Kumar’s parents said they can only empathise with the boy’s parents(Picture: Ken McKay/ITV/Shutterstock)

‘She’s shouted to the other neighbour – a Nigerian boy who was on his way to school.

‘It’s quite traumatising now. I can’t stop envisioning the boy’s face.’

Footage shows police approaching him as he brandishes his weapon, before Tasering and arresting him.

In an update yesterday, Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell said: ‘It is with great sadness that I confirm one of those injured in the incident, a 14-year-old boy, has died from their injuries.

‘He was taken to hospital after being stabbed and sadly died a short while after. The child’s family are being supported firstly by my local officers and now with some specialist officers.’

Witnesses have described the moment they saw a man armed with a huge sword walking from house to house.

Footage from a doorbell camera of police officers tasering the man (Picture: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)

Manpreet Singh, manager of Redbridge Radio Cars, was at work in the taxi firm’s office at Hainault Tube station when the attack began.

Mr Singh told Metro: ‘I saw about six or seven people going in and out of Franklyn Gardens and people coming up to the train station saying there was a guy with a machete.

‘It looked like there was one man who had stabbed someone and the other people in the street were bystanders on their way to work who had tried to fight him off.

‘A guy walked up the road who had been stabbed in his neck. He was saying “I’ve been stabbed, I’ve been stabbed” and walking towards the police.’

He continued: ‘Because of the size of the weapon it looked like they tried to intervene but not been able to fight him off.

‘When we came out the police cars were there and the guy came running from Franklyn Gardens towards Thurlow Gardens. He tried to get into a house but there was a dog there.

Timeline of the Hainault stabbing

6.54am: The first emergency calls are made regarding a man with a large sword in the area of Thurlow Gardens. Police rush to the scene.
Reports of multiple people stabbed are made, and video emerges of the man in a yellow hoodie, brandishing the large weapon.
7.20am: A 36-year-old suspect is tasered at the scene and taken into custody.
7.30am: Hainault station is shut as police arrive in the area, videos begin circulating on social media of police helicopters
8.54am: MP Wes Streeting shares that a critical incident has been declared in Hainault as emergency services respond to the scene.
9.00am: Police confirm a man has been arrested at the scene and urge locals to follow instructions from officers on the ground.
9.24am: London Fire Brigade says the incident is over
10.04am: Mayor of London Sadiq Khan shares his condolences over the incident
1pm: Police confirm a 14-year-old boy was killed in the attack

The scene of a sword attack (Picture: Carl Court/Getty Images)

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5

Up Next

‘He tried to get into another house but the police got him under control by tasering him.’

The Metropolitan Police said officers are not looking for more suspects and the attack ‘does not appear to be terror-related’.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Ade Adelekan said: ‘This must have been a terrifying incident for those concerned.

‘I know the wider community will be feeling shock and alarm.

‘People will want to know what has happened and will we provide more information as soon as we can.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at

For more stories like this, check our news page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *