Usa news

Bus driver arrested after schoolboy, 14, killed in Portsmouth harbour crash

bus driver has been arrested after a 14-year-old boy died following a collision with the vehicle. The accident involving the teenage pedestrian happened on The Hard in Portsmouth on the afternoon of August 17, according to Hampshire Constabulary. A force spokesman said: ?We are appealing for information and witnesses as a young boy has died following a bus crash in Portsmouth. ?At about 4.25pm on Monday August 17, police were called to The Hard after reports of a serious collision involving a pedestrian and a bus. ?The pedestrian, a 14-year-old boy from Portsmouth, was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and has since sadly passed away. ?His family are being supported by specialist officers.? The spokesman added: ?The driver of the bus, a 39-year-old man from Portsmouth, was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and then released on bail until November 17 while further inquiries are carried out.? A note attached to flowers left at the scene, which is close to a bus transport hub, says: ?RIP Fly High. I will never forget our memories. We had such a good time in science. ?Can?t believe what happened. We will all miss u lots. Forever 14.? The Hard in Portsmouth picture: Google maps

Tributes have been paid to a 14-year-old schoolboy killed after being struck by a bus.

The teenager was walking along The Hard in Portsmouth when he was struck, according to Hampshire Constabulary.

One family friend posted on Facebook: ‘Such a great young man with so much to live for. A true credit to his family.

‘Rest in eternal peace. Sending love to your whole family. We will never forget you sweetheart.’

A petition asking Portsmouth Council to make the bus stop safer claimed the schoolboy had been struck by a falling lampost.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

It read: ‘This young boy was struck by a lamp post that had been dislodged by a bus mounting the kerb, resulting in him being rushed to critical care.

‘This heartbreaking incident is a grim reminder that the current location of the bus stop poses significant risks to safety due to its inadequate design and space constraints.’

It added the bus stop has a ‘dangerously narrow pavement’ that cannot safely accommodate waiting passengers with car drivers regularly seen performing ‘dangerous maneuvers’ to get past buses.

A Hampshire Police spokesman said: ‘We are appealing for information and witnesses as a young boy has died following a bus crash in Portsmouth.

‘At about 4.25pm on Monday August 17, police were called to The Hard after reports of a serious collision involving a pedestrian and a bus.

‘The pedestrian, a 14-year-old boy from Portsmouth, was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and has since sadly passed away.

‘His family are being supported by specialist officers.’

The spokesman added: ‘The driver of the bus, a 39-year-old man from Portsmouth, was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and then released on bail until November 17 while further inquiries are carried out.’

A note attached to flowers left at the scene, which is close to a bus transport hub, says: ‘RIP Fly High. I will never forget our memories. We had such a good time in science.

‘Can’t believe what happened. We will all miss u lots. Forever 14.’

Exit mobile version