EL SEGUNDO — When running back Omarion Hampton revealed earlier this week that he had fractured his left ankle during the Chargers’ loss to the Washington Commanders in Week 5, it ended a mystery about the severity of his injury and explained why he was sidelined for so many weeks.
It was not a sprain or a strain or anything that could heal sooner than later.
“It was just sort of a freak thing,” Hampton said.
Coach Jim Harbaugh was reluctant to divulge details about the specifics of Hampton’s injury during the rookie’s extended layoff, saying only that it was an ankle injury. Harbaugh also predicted earlier this month that Hampton wouldn’t be sound enough to practice until this week.
Hampton lined up in a yellow don’t-hit-me jersey during his limited participation in practice Friday, and he was later ruled out for the Chargers’ game Sunday against the Las Vegas Raiders at SoFi Stadium. It’s anticipated that another week of gearing up to full football activities will do him good.
“Everything is on track,” Harbaugh said.
After the Chargers (7-4) face the AFC West rival Raiders, they play host to the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles in a compelling “Monday Night Football” matchup at SoFi Stadium on Dec. 8. The Raiders (2-9) are their only opponent that was out of the playoff picture as of Friday.
The addition of Hampton for the Chargers’ stretch run would give their offense one more weapon. Kimani Vidal has assumed Hampton’s role as the Chargers’ top back and will start his seventh consecutive game Sunday against the Raiders. Vidal has rushed for a team-leading 417 yards.
“He’s been doing amazing,” Hampton said of Vidal. “He’s been doing great.”
Hampton was leading the Chargers with 314 yards in five starts before he was injured Oct. 5 when a Commanders player fell on his left leg during the Chargers’ 27-10 loss to Washington. In hindsight, it was only the beginning of the beginning for Hampton, who earned the starting job in training camp.
Najee Harris was signed as a free agent in the offseason after four very consistent seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Harris missed all of camp because of an eye injury sustained during a July 4 fireworks accident and then suffered a season-ending Achilles tendon tear Sept. 21.
“I feel like I was getting a little comfortable,” said Hampton, the Chargers’ first-round draft pick from the University of North Carolina. “But I feel like that’s just the beginning. I feel like I’ve got a lot more to do just to learn and get better. I feel like I haven’t reached my full potential yet.”
Hampton went through a series of limited practices this week, his first since his injury, and it remained to be determined how he and Vidal might share the work when he’s sound enough to play. Harbaugh didn’t say, and neither did Chargers offensive coordinator Greg Roman earlier this week.
Vidal remained No. 1 on the depth chart.
Hampton said only that the plan was “just to get back out there.”
It won’t happen Sunday, but Dec. 8 is a distinct probability.
“He brings a different level of energy to our team, and we saw how special he was early in the season,” Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert said. “I know he’s been battling to get back out there and doing everything he can. It’s just good to see the steps forward and to see him back out there (in practice).”
ALT UPDATE
Left tackle Joe Alt said he underwent surgery on his right ankle after suffering a season-ending injury during the Chargers’ victory Nov. 2 over the Tennessee Titans. It was the second of two significant ankle injuries he sustained this season. He also was hurt in a loss Sept. 28 to the New York Giants.