Usa news

Chargers review: ‘A lot of things to work on’ after one-sided loss to 49ers

INGLEWOOD — Yes, it was only a preseason game.

No, there was no excuse for the Chargers’ play in a 41-17 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday night, an error-filled game that featured plenty of reasons to believe they have accomplished little of value during four weeks of training camp so far. Week 5 begins Saturday.

“I think we have a lot of things to work on,” Coach Jim Harbaugh said. “In a big way, we beat ourselves, offensively, defensively and special teams.”

Here’s what we learned, what we heard and what comes next after the Chargers stumbled and bumbled their way through an exhibition loss that featured only 161 yards passing, 68 yards rushing, seven penalties for 47 yards and eight punts, including one that was returned for an 83-yard touchdown:

MISSES AND HITS

Quarterback Justin Herbert completed one of two passes for 9 yards in a three-and-out series to start the game, then exited along with many of his fellow starters. Trey Pipkins III, Kayode Awosika, Jake Slaughter, Cole Strange and Joe Alt made up the starting offensive line.

Slaughter replaced Tyler Biadasz, who suffered a left ACL injury on Tuesday during the Chargers’ joint practice with the 49ers. Biadasz is in the process of getting additional medical opinions before deciding his next moves, the Chargers said in a statement earlier in the week.

“It’s an ACL, it doesn’t look promising,” Harbaugh said. “We’re not putting a label on it right now, and then we’ll make a decision.”

Asked if he was confident that Slaughter, a second-round draft pick from the University of Florida, could step in for Biadasz as the Chargers’ starting center, Harbaugh said, “Yeah, yes. Every time, he’s been in a game, every time he’s had to go in there, he’s a football player. That’s what he’s shown us.

“He’s got the ability to process. His athleticism, his strength, it’s all plus, plus.”

Trey Lance replaced Herbert for the remainder of the first half and D.J. Uiagalelei played in the second half. Neither backup was particularly effective passing the ball, but what stood out most of all was the Chargers’ remarkable inability to run the ball on designed plays rather than just improvisation.

At one point, with 7:53 remaining in the game, the Chargers had gained 3 yards on 12 designed runs. They finished the game with 26 yards on 17 designed carries, throwing out Lance’s 42 yards of scrambles on two attempts, including one for 37 yards that set up a field goal.

The Chargers had trouble with multiple players in motion during the first half.

“We got outplayed and we beat ourselves in all three phases,” Harbaugh said. “It’s not going to go well when those things occur. More concentrating right now. Rebounding. Regrouping. Some of the better plays were called back for illegal formations. Two guys in motion. Sloppy.”

Cameron Dicker kicked a 21-yard field goal to pull the Chargers into an all-too-brief 3-3 tie with 7:11 left in the first half, but he missed an extra point for the second consecutive preseason game. He also missed one during the Chargers’ 27-7 victory over the Houston Texans on Aug. 13.

Linebacker Junior Colson intercepted an ill-advised pass by 49ers fourth-string quarterback Adrian Martinez and returned it 16 yards for a touchdown that cut the Chargers’ deficit to 20-9 with 10:45 left in the third quarter. It was one of the few Chargers highlights on defense against the 49ers.

BACKUP BATTLE

Lance completed 10 of 16 passes for 73 yards and had a passer rating of 73.2. Uiagalelei completed 7 of 15 passes for 80 yards and one touchdown with a passer rating of 85.4. Neither distinguished himself, leaving the competition to be Herbert’s backup up for grabs for another week.

“It’s hard to evaluate the quarterbacks when there are those kinds of errors taking place,” Harbaugh said, referring to the penalties and other miscues that limited the offense from start to finish. “I think it (the battle for backup) is tight. I don’t have a definitive status on it right now.”

INJURY REPORT

Rookie wide receiver Brenan Thompson exited the game after Lance overthrew him on a deep pattern down the left sideline in the first quarter. Thompson spent several minutes in the athletic trainer’s tent before heading to the locker room. He did not return to the game and Harbaugh didn’t have an update.

Offensive lineman Branson Taylor left the game in the second quarter because of an apparent arm or shoulder injury. He also spent time in the trainer’s tent, but he returned to the sideline rather than going into the locker room. Taylor is one of several players battling for the starting left guard spot.

 WHAT COMES NEXT?

The Chargers play host to the Rams in their third and final preseason game this month next Thursday night. NFL rosters must be trimmed to 53 on Aug. 30. Practice squads (typically 16 players) can be established Aug. 31. The Chargers’ regular-season opener is Sept. 13 against the Arizona Cardinals at SoFi Stadium.

Exit mobile version