The delivery driver said it went against company policy to help Jessica take her parcel inside (Picture: BPM)
A woman has described her humiliation after a DPD delivery driver refused to help carry her parcels inside.
Instead, Jessica Sturrock says he said that she should not order things if she couldn’t take them inside by herself.
Jessica has a muscle-wasting disease that affects her legs and means she uses a wheelchair.
She ordered two chairs to her home in Horley, Surrey, and they arrived earlier than expected last Thursday.
When she got to the door she asked the delivery driver if he would help her take the two packages inside because there was nobody else home with her, but he wouldn’t do it.
Jessica said: ‘I was so shocked, he carried on refusing saying it wasn’t company policy. I was told in no uncertain terms by him I should “plan better”. Did he just not want me to be disabled on the day he was delivering?
Jessica was unhappy with the treatment she received (Picture: BPM)
‘I was made to feel like a nuisance, I was quite upset and angry by it because I didn’t think I was asking for too much. You’re literally talking about two or three steps. He said I should use a different courier if I wanted something brought into the house.
‘His next suggestion was that I ask my neighbour to lift it in for me, my neighbour is an 80-year-old woman. The thing that really upset me was that he went on to tell me that perhaps I shouldn’t order things if I’m disabled and I can’t get them inside.
‘It was really hurtful, I said it’s discriminatory. I was made really angry by his obvious ableism and his lack of help. I was shaking, I was really upset.’
Jessica contacted DPD who apologised and said they would provide the driver with more training.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
- Drag artist attacked for holding husband’s hand and told: ‘I’ll put you in a wheelchair’ News Jason Sullovan suffered a dislocated knee before he was assaulted (Picture: George Sullovan) A drag artist punched by teenagers for holding hands with his husband was told by his attackers: ‘I’ll put you in a wheelchair for life.’ George, 25, and Jason Sullovan, 27, were leaving Boom Battle Bar in…
- The new Globe Haul ST e-bike can carry 190kg for 100km without recharging, says Specialized News Specialized has finally introduced the Globe Haul ST, claiming that the electric cargo bike can haul 190kg of gear for 100km on a single charge. Globe is a new range of electric bikes that will be under the Specialized banner, rather than a sub-brand as suggested by Globe Bikes’ announcement…
- Tom Sandoval Apologizes to Ariana Madix: ‘I Wish Things Happened in a Different Order’ Entertainment <p><em><a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/vanderpump-rules/">Vanderpump Rules</a></em> star and sometimes <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/vanderpump-rules-star-tom-sandoval-played-cheating-boyfriend-bon-jovi-music-video.html/">actor Tom Sandoval</a> took to Instagram to apologize to his all-of-a-sudden ex-girlfriend and <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/vanderpump-rules-ariana-madix-and-tom-sandoval-sued-over-cocktail-book.html/">co-author Ariana Madix</a>. For anyone who doesn’t know, Madix reportedly discovered Sandoval was involved in a months-long affair with their cast-mate Raquel Leviss. That was allegedly thanks to a…
- Royal College chair: NHS will fail if GPs carry on crumbling News The warning comes as GPs continue to quit (Picture: PA) One in four staff at GP surgeries fears their practice will shut down due to stressed doctors quitting, a poll shows. Unmanageable workloads will drive medics out of the profession, worried workers told the Royal College of GPs. Nearly 850…
- Courteney Cox declares fillers her ‘biggest beauty regret’ in candid chat: ‘You don’t realise you look a little off’ Entertainment Courteney Cox has revealed her biggest beauty regret (Picture: Getty) Courteney Cox has declared that going overboard with fillers has been one of her biggest ‘regrets’ over the years. The Friends actress described the procedure as a ‘domino effect’ and admitted that she ‘can’t believe’ what she used to look…