
A seven-year-old boy was killed in a house explosion caused by drug dealers making cannabis sweets in a neighbouring flat with 100 gas cannisters, it can now be reported.
Reece Galbraith, 33, has admitted the manslaughter of Archie York and Galbraith’s friend Jason ‘Jay’ Laws, 35, who died in a blast at Violet Close, Benwell, Newcastle, in the early hours of October 16.
The explosion obliterated a large section of the street, rendered families homeless and led to a major emergency services response.
Galbraith, of Gateshead, had previously denied manslaughter and was due to go on trial next month but appeared at Newcastle Crown Court via a prison videolink to change his pleas to guilty on Thursday.
He also admitted possessing and supplying cannabis between November 2023 and October 2024.
He will be sentenced on May 14 by Mr Justice Cotter after a report has been prepared.
Judge Paul Sloan KC, who remanded him in custody after Galbraith pleaded guilty, told the defendant: ‘As you will be aware you face a significant, immediate custodial sentence.’
Galbraith was badly injured in the blast and his solicitor said at a previous hearing he was lucky to survive.
The subsequent investigation revealed the flat directly below where Archie, parents Katherine and Robbie and his baby brother Finley were sleeping was being used as a drug lab to produce cannabis concentrates – known as ‘shatter’ or ‘butane honey oil’ – operated by Galbraith and Mr Laws.
This in turn was then used to create cannabis edibles – also referred to as ‘gummies’.
Detective Chief Inspector Katie Smith said: ‘The process of creating “cannabis shatter” and other drugs in this way is exceptionally dangerous.
‘The truly devastating impact of this case should be enough to make anyone doing this to think again.
‘We would also urge anyone who has any information about the production of drugs to come forward so we can take action – you could save someone’s life.’
Earlier this week, Archie’s mum told the Newcastle Chronicle news site: ‘As a parent and as a mother you try your best to keep your children safe, and that was took out of my hands.
‘When they are in the house, that’s supposed to be the safest place.’
At a previous hearing at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court, prosecutors said police stopped Galbraith’s car in April last year and found drugs.
His home was searched and moulds to make cannabis sweets were discovered. He was released pending further investigation.
Analysis of his mobile phone showed 80 text messages relating to the sale of cannabis sweets.
Claire Armstrong, representing the prosecution during the magistrates’ court hearing, said the explosion on October 16 was caused by butane gas that was in the property to process drugs.
‘Following the explosion, 100 butane cannisters were found,’ she said.
She said Galbraith’s fingerprints were present on items recovered from the destroyed flat which the prosecution described as a ‘drug lab’.
Michael Gibson, defending at the magistrates’ court hearing, said Galbraith had been in regular work in construction until the age of 31.
Mr Gibson said: ‘He was lucky not to be killed in the explosion.
‘He was placed in an induced coma for a week and in hospital for a month receiving treatment. That treatment is ongoing.
‘He doesn’t have full use of his arms due to burns. He is weak and feeble.’
Christopher Atkinson, Head of the Complex Casework Unit for CPS North East, said: ‘Our thoughts remain with the family of Archie York, whose tragic death last year shocked the community of Benwell.
‘It is clear from the evidence in this case that the explosion which took Archie’s life was caused by a build-up of butane in the address used by Jason Laws, who also died in the blast.
‘That address had been the site of an illegal operation producing a highly concentrated form of cannabis, through a dangerous process involving the use of large quantities of flammable butane gas.
‘We hope that today’s convictions bring some measure of comfort to the family of Archie York, at what must remain an incredibly difficult time for them.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.