Pupils block the entrance to Lycee Racine in Paris (Picture: Shutterstock)
Teenagers in France have joined nationwide protests against plans to raise the retirement age to 64.
A youth-led protest took place in Paris while youngsters blocked the entrances to some universities and secondary schools.
Many are supporters of groups such as the far-left France Unbowed party.
Djana Farhaig, 15, said: ‘I don’t want to work all my life and be exhausted at the end. It is important for us to show that the youth is engaged for its future.’
At one protest, a teenage boy held a placard saying: ‘I don’t want my parents to die at work.’
Student Quentin Queller, 23, said: ‘Sixty-four is so far away, it is depressing.’ He added: ‘We should work less and have more free time.’
A young protester raises a flag as others surround him (Picture: Shutterstock)
Since January, strikes and demonstrations have taken place across France against president Emmanuel Macron’s bid to put up the retirement age from 62 to 64.
He says changes are needed for financial stability but opponents argue wealthy taxpayers or companies should pitch in more instead.
Economist Thomas Coutrot described a widespread sentiment that ‘work has become unbearable’.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
- French protesters take to the streets to protest against Macron’s pension plan News Unions are hoping they can still compel Macron to back down while Parliament debates the bill, with the National Assembly and Senate heading for a final vote as early as this month. “This is the final stage,” said Marylise Leon, vice president of the CFDT union. “The final is now,”…
- Susana Mendoza urges legislators to mandate full pension benefits for Illiniois cops, firefighters who survive COVID-19 News Illinois Comptroller Susana Mendoza and her brother Sgt. Joaquin Mendoza, whose COVID-19 disability sparked new legislation that passed a House committee Thursday. Provided After hearing emotional testimony from Illinois Comptroller Susana Mendoza, an Illinois House committee unanimously approved legislation Thursday that would grant Chicago cops and firefighters full benefits if…
- Dibley church sexism row as female vicar banned in Dawn French’s former town News Dawn French, who lived in Fowey, Cornwall, starred in The Vicar Of Dibley (Picture: BBC) The Vicar of Dibley would surely chuckle at the irony – after a church near the former home of star Dawn French voted against having a woman priest. St Fimbarrus in Fowey, Cornwall, is at…
- ‘Little House on the Prairie’: What Was Victor French’s Net Worth at the Time of His Death? Entertainment <p><em><a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/little-house-on-the-prairie/">Little House on the Prairie</a></em> star Victor French is best known for playing Mr. Edwards on the hit NBC show. He also starred alongside <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/little-house-on-the-prairie-michael-landon-admitted-he-wasnt-like-tv-character.html/">Michael Landon</a> in many of his productions. Here’s a look at French’s net worth and career.</p> <h2>Victor French’s movies and TV shows</h2> <figure class="wp-block-image…
- Free chickens are being given out to people in a French town to reduce food waste News The French town of Colmar wants its residents to use red hens to compost waste (Picture: Getty) A French town is giving its residents free chickens to help get rid of waste more sustainably. Colmar, in northeastern France, is offering each household two free red hens to be used for…