The FDA and CDC are investigating an outbreak of hepatitis A in frozen organic strawberries sold at Costco and Trader Joe’s after the virus was linked to a supplier with farms in Baja California, authorities said.
The frozen organic strawberries were sold to a variety of retailers under multiple brands, according to the FDA, and were imported from Mexico in 2022.
The hepatitis A strain is also “genetically identical” to the strain that caused an outbreak of hepatitis A infection in fresh, organic strawberries imported from farms in Baja California in May 2022, authorities said.
Some symptoms of hepatitis A infection, experts say, include fatigue, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and jaundice. In some cases, the infection can be asymptomatic in children under the age of six.
According to data given to the FDA by the CDC, 5 out of 5 people who reported what they ate when they got sick said they ate frozen strawberries.
The FDA’s traceability investigation then identified a common supplier of the organic frozen strawberries, the agency said.
In response to the investigation, San Diego-based California Splendor, Inc. voluntarily recalled 4-pound bags of Kirkland Signature organic frozen strawberries, the FDA said, adding that the bags in question were in Costco stores in Los Angeles and Hawaii were sold. and in two business centers in San Diego.
The Scenic Fruit Company of Gresham, Oregon, also voluntarily recalled frozen organic strawberries sold statewide to Costco and Trader Joe’s, authorities said. Consumers should avoid 4-pound bags of Kirkland Signature Organic Frozen Foods and Trader Joe’s 16-ounce Organic Tropical Fruit Blend.
Reach Joel Umanzor: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
- Updated – Scenic Fruit Company Recalls Organic Frozen Strawberries and Organic Frozen Tropical Mix Due to Potential Health Risks News Summary Company Disclosure Date: March 16, 2023 FDA Disclosure Date: March 17, 2023 Product Type: Food and Beverage Reason for Disclosure: Description of the reason for the recall Hepatitis A Company Name: Scenic Fruit Company Brand Name: Brand names) Simply Nature, Vital Choice and others Product description: Product description Frozen…
- Frozen fruit recalled over Hepatitis A contamination concerns News Scenic Fruit Company’s frozen organic tropical blend sold to Trader’s Joe is being recalled over Hepatitis A contamination concerns (Picture: Trader Joe’s) Frozen fruits sold to Trader Joe’s and other grocery stores are being recalled due to possible contamination with Hepatitis A. Oregon-based Scenic Fruit Company issued the recall on…
- Fuel duty frozen and 5p cut extended for another 12 months News Drivers can breathe a sigh of relief (Picture: Metro.co.uk) The 5p fuel duty cut will be extended for 12 months, chancellor Jeremy Hunt has announced. Rishi Sunak temporarily cut the fuel duty rate from 57.95p per litre to 52.95p when he was chancellor to keep soaring pump prices down. This was due…
- The US maternal death rate has risen for another year, CDC data shows News CNN — As women in the United States continue to die every year from pregnancy or childbirth, new federal data shows the country’s maternal mortality rate rose significantly again in 2021, with rates among black women more than twice those of white women . Experts said the ongoing maternal death…
- The maternal death rate is rising in the US, the CDC reports News pregnancy and childbirth are said to mark new beginnings and new life – but more and more pregnant or recently pregnant women are dying prematurely. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday released a new report on maternal death rates for 2021 – showing an upward trend…