To use Google Drive with Slack, you first need to connect the app to Slack or access your Google Drive account in your browser.
With Slack’s growing reputation as an online work-sharing tool, it makes sense to connect it with Google Drive, a file-sharing tool.
The easiest way to connect Google Drive and Slack is to add a Google Drive link to a message, then follow the prompts to connect them.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Slack has quickly become a preferred tool for workers looking to collaborate over distance or even just from remote home offices.
People have been sharing files over Google Drive for years, however. For that reason, Google Drive and Slack are a pretty perfect union.
You can send Google Drive files to your Slack team, or attach files directly from Google Drive in a message, once your accounts are linked.
Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (From $299.99 at Best Buy)
How to use Google Drive with Slack
1. Open Google Drive on your Mac or PC.
2. Open any file and then click the blue “Share” button in the top-right, and then “Get shareable link.”
3. Paste that shareable link in a message in a Slack group.
4. A Slackbot message will show up identifying it as a Google Drive link and asking if you want to connect Google Drive to Slack. Click the “Connect” button.
5. A pop-up with your Google account will ask if you want to allow Slack to access it. Click on “Yes,” then “Allow.”
6. Next, you will be taken back to your Slack page where it will say that Google Drive is asking permission to access Slack.
7. Scroll down and click on “Allow” again.
8. Once you have connected both Slack and Google Drive, the Google Drive app will be available in your side toolbar in Slack.
9. When you click on the paperclip icon in any Slack messages going forward, you will be asked if you want to attach a file from your Google Drive. Clicking on that will pull up your Google Drive folders and allow you to attach files directly.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to add someone to a Slack channel or workspace
How to update Slack on your computer or mobile device to make sure you have the latest features
How to set a reminder in Slack to stay on top of your tasks and meetings
How to leave a Slack workspace in 2 simple steps
How to make a Slack channel private if it’s public, or create a new private channel
SEE ALSO: The best laptops you can buy
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: …read more
Source:: Business Insider