Hungarian President involved in horror crash as cop killed & second seriously injured as he is escorted to airport

A POLICE officer has died after Hungarian President Viktor Orban’s escort was involved in a collision with two police motorcycles and a car.

The accident occurred at around 11.15am in the district of Degerloch in Stuttgart, Germany, when the Hungarian leader was being escorted to the airport.

GettyViktor Orban’s escort was involved in a collision with police vehicles[/caption]

GettyThe horror collision took place in Degerloch in Stuttgart[/caption]

Another 27-year-old police officer suffered serious injuries and is being treated in hospital, reports Bild.

The Stuttgart traffic police motorcycle squad were escorting the Hungarian president to Stuttgart Airport on Löffelstrasse.

However, a woman, 69, driving a BMW overlooked the fact that the intersection had already been closed off by the police for Orban’s convoy at Albplatz.

She turned left at the Rubensstrasse intersection and hit the motorcycle of a 61-year-old male officer who was accompanying Orban’s car.

Due to the force of the impact, the police vehicle was thrown onto the motorcycle of a 27-year-old colleague who had used his motor to block the intersection for traffic.

Both police officers were seriously injured in the collision and were rushed to hospital.

But despite the best efforts of paramedics, the 61-year-old cop died of his injuries shortly afterwards.

The public prosecutor’s office and the Stuttgart police announced the horror collision in a statement.

Police Chief Markus Eisenbraun said: “We are deeply shocked by the accident of our colleagues.

“The tragic circumstances of the death of our valued colleague have left us speechless and have hit the entire Stuttgart police force to the core.”

Yesterday evening Mr Orban watched as the Hungary defeated Scotland in dramatic fashion in their Euro 2024 match.

The president wanted to leave for Budapest at lunchtime but the fatal accident occurred around eight kilometres before arriving at the airport.

Ludwigsburg Police Headquarters have taken over the investigation and urged any witnesse to come forward.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *