The mother of an 18-year-old Mather High School student was ordered released from immigration custody by a federal judge on Tuesday, though the teen remains detained, according to the family’s lawyers.
Ricardo Navarrete and his mother, Liliana Navarrete, were detained by federal agents in March during a routine court hearing for their asylum case. The pair arrived in Chicago in 2022 as asylum seekers from Colombia.
Liliana Navarette was one of 18 people released on a writ of habeas corpus by a U.S. District judge in Kentucky after being held for too long without a bond hearing, according to a statement from her lawyers. The fight for her immigration case will continue in the courts as she returns to Chicago.
The teen, who has previously described being held in cramped rooms with dozens of men, remains in custody.
“Liliana can return to her home in Chicago, Illinois and continue to pursue her case before the Chicago immigration court,” Kelli Fennell, an attorney representing the family, said in a statement. “His family and community are hopeful they will soon receive a positive decision in his pending habeas.”
A standout soccer player, Ricardo signed to play for community-college soccer powerhouse Truman College after graduating. Those plans are uncertain given his ongoing detention.
Kristy Morrow, a family friend who has been helping to support the family, had hope for Liliana’s case since her Kentucky court district has been granting habeas petitions.
Morrow hopes Ricardo’s habeas petition also may be granted following a federal appeals court ruling last week. The ruling says immigration detainees cannot be held without a bail hearing.
Ricardo has told family he is being kept in a county jail with 90 other men. The lights stay on through the night and there is constant sound, Morrow said.
“We have a boy missing prom, graduation and his final soccer season,” Morrow said. “We need to get this boy home.”
Richardo will miss the rest of his soccer club’s season, which ends Saturday, long before his next court date in July.
But the team has kept him on the roster. Morrow said. And his name is read out every game by the referee.
Supporters rallied last month for Ricardo and his mother, calling for their release and an end to the Trump administration’s deportation campaign since the end of Operation Midway Blitz in the Chicago area.
“They’re all seniors, so it’s bittersweet,” she said. “They’ve had a great season, but they realize what’s happening and the gravity of this. Their teammate is missing.”
Contributing: Emmanuel Camarillo