Lowe’s Home Centers has agreed to pay $12.5 million to resolve violations of federal environmental regulations found in renovation work performed by Lowe’s contractors at homes in Southern California and elsewhere, it was announced today.
The settlement agreement filed Tuesday in Los Angeles federal court requires Lowe’s to implement a corporate-wide program to ensure the firms and installers it hires to perform work are qualified to use lead-safe work practices to avoid spreading lead dust and paint chips during home renovations.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency officials said the Mooresville, North Carolina-based Lowe’s failed to successfully implement the compliance terms of a 2014 settlement with the EPA, resulting in the alleged violations of the EPA’s Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting rule.
According to court papers, EPA discovered some of the alleged violations after investigating problems disclosed by Lowe’s in periodic compliance reports required under the terms of the 2014 consent decree. The agency says it found additional violations after responding to a tip from a member of the public concerning door replacements and other renovation work performed by a firm hired by Lowe’s to do work in southern and central California.
Residential lead-based paint use was banned in 1978 but remains in many older homes and apartments across the country.
“Careless handling of lead paint endangers the health of children and other Americans,” Adam Gustafson, principal deputy assistant attorney general of the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division, said in a statement.
“The stiff penalty Lowe’s will pay reflects the importance of using certified firms and contractors in older home renovations. Contractors hired for work that may disturb paint in homes built prior to 1978, when lead-based paint was in widespread use, must be certified. These contractors have the training to recognize and prevent the hazards that can be created when lead paint is disturbed.”
The consent decree is subject to a 30-day public comment period and final court approval.
Related Posts:
- LA Galaxy donates $30,000 to SoCal youth soccer organization News Pro soccer’s LA Galaxy announced on Monday that City National Bank, the team’s official bank and wealth management partner, has donated $30,000 to the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) Region 13, serving Pasadena, Altadena and La Cañada. Of the donation, $5,000 will be designated specifically for replacing soccer equipment that…
- Cedric Gugler Handed 10-Tournament Suspension for Repeated Rule Violations Sports The European Tour group recently came down hard on Swedish golfer Cedric Gugler. After an alleged cheating incident earlier this year, officials have reprimanded him for his actions. The group handed the 25-year-old a ten-tournament suspension for reportedly acting with ‘reckless infringement of the Rules of Golf’. Gugler has since…
- Jamie Redknapp rules one team out of Premier League title race after Liverpool and Man City defeats Sports Former Liverpool and Tottenham midfielder Jamie Redknapp (Picture: Sky Sports) Jamie Redknapp has ruled one of Arsenal’s rivals out of the Premier League title race after both Liverpool and Manchester City suffered damaging defeats on Saturday. Both sides had the chance to put pressure on Mikel Arteta’s injury-ravaged side ahead of their north…
- Peter Schrager Says Broncos Are Built to Beat Patrick Mahomes, Not NFL’s Rules Sports NFL analysts keep heaping praise on the Denver Broncos â particularly the defense. On The Pat McAfee Show, NFL analyst Peter Schrager put the Denver Broncos in rare company, saying Sean Paytonâs team has been built around defense specifically to deal with Patrick Mahomes. He grouped Denver with the Houston…
- Entertainers at Denver strip clubs are protected by city’s wage laws, judge rules News A Denver judge last week ruled that entertainers at strip clubs are workers protected by the city’s wage and employment laws, a ruling hailed by city regulators as a “significant win for worker protections in the adult entertainment industry.” The twin rulings by Denver District Court Judge Jon J. Olafson…
(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)