Man, 91, strangled by his own scarf after it got tangled in drill during DIY

Left, Antonio Campo. Right, the street in which he lived in Acate in Sicily, Italy (Picture: Newsflash/Google)

A 91-year-old man was strangled to death by his own scarf after it became tangled in a power drill he was using while doing DIY at home.

Antonio Campo, who lived in the Italian town of Acate, in Ragusa, southern Sicily, was suffocated when the garment got caught up in the electric drill and formed a tight knot around his neck.

His wife, who has not been named, was also at home but only realised what had happened when it was too late, according to local media.

She called the emergency services but nothing could be done to save his life.

Mr Campo’s body was taken for autopsy and the coroner ruled that the death was an accident.

His funeral took place on March 15 at the Madre di Acate Church in Acate.

More: Trending

The make and model of the drill has not yet been made public.

In 2019, a 58-year-old woman in France died in front of her 15-year-old son when her scarf got stuck in a food processor.

They had been baking together at home in Saint-Etienne when the freak accident happened.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at

For more stories like this, check our news page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *