Usa news

Man ‘pretended to have a bomb in his bag’ at gates of Downing Street

epa12959640 Media cameras focus on 10 Downing Street in London, Britain, 15 May 2026. Speculation over British Prime Minister Keir Starmer???s leadership continues after British Health Secretary Wes Streeting???s resignation raised questions of a pending leadership contest. EPA/ANDY RAIN
A court heard that Stephen Abbott, 59, ‘attended the gates at Downing Street, shouting, protesting’ before claiming ‘to have a bomb in his rucksack’ (Picture: EPA)

A man has been accused of turning up at the gates of Downing Street claiming to have a bomb in his rucksack.

Stephen Abbott, 59, appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court this morning over the alleged hoax on October 15 last year.

He denied a single charge of communicating to police information which he knew or believed to be false, with the intention of inducing in that person or any other person a false belief.

His case was sent to the Old Bailey, ‘given its profile,’ and Abbott’s next hearing will be on June 16.

Prosecutor Rizwan Amin told the hearing: ‘The agreed facts are that Mr Abbott attended the gates at Downing Street, shouting, protesting.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

‘In short, he was alleged to make comments about Tony Blair and subsequently claimed to have a bomb in his rucksack.’

Senior District Judge Paul Goldspring told the hearing that the case was ‘clearly not suitable for summary trial’.

‘It should go to the Bailey given its profile,’ he added.

Abbott, of Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, was granted bail on condition that he does not go within 100 metres of Downing Street.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Exit mobile version