MIAMI — Major League Baseball has placed Dodgers pitcher Julio Urías on administrative leave while it investigates the incident that led to his arrest over the weekend.
Urías, 27, was arrested Sunday night after leaving the MLS game between LAFC and Inter Miami CF at BMO Stadium and was booked for felony domestic violence.
Urías’ administrative leave is “until further notice,” according to MLB’s statement. Administrative leave is limited to seven days unless the players’ union agrees to a longer term.
“Per an agreement between MLB and the MLBPA, Julio Urías has been placed on Administrative Leave until further notice as MLB continues its ongoing investigation,” the statement said. “The administrative leave, which is effective immediately, is not disciplinary under the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. We will refrain from further comment until the appropriate time.”
The same process played out while MLB investigated former Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer. Bauer was eventually suspended for 194 games and is currently pitching in Japan after going unsigned by MLB teams after the Dodgers released him this winter.
Tampa Bay Rays infielder Wander Franco is currently on indefinite administrative leave while MLB investigates allegations of relationships with underage girls.
Urías also was on administrative leave in 2019 following an arrest for alleged domestic battery. While he was never charged, Urías was required to complete a year-long domestic violence counseling program, and MLB suspended him for 20 games. No player has been suspended twice under the league’s policy, which was instituted in 2015.
Immediately after the announcement of Urias being placed on administrative leave this time, the Dodgers announced that they were “replacing” the planned promotional giveaway of a Urias-WBC bobblehead scheduled for Sept. 21 at Dodger Stadium. Instead, the first 30,000 fans will receive “a giveaway of select premium bobbleheads” – an assortment of bobbleheads that have previously been distributed.
In a statement acknowledging MLB’s decision to place Urias on administrative leave, the Dodgers said they supported the decision and were fully cooperating with MLB’s investigation.
“The Dodgers take all allegations of the kind in this case very seriously and we do not condone or excuse any acts of domestic violence,” the statement said.
In a brief statement, the Exposition Park Department of Public Safety acknowledged Urias’ arrest and an ongoing investigation. Officials asked for anyone with information regarding the incident to contact them.
Urias will continue to draw his salary while on leave and accrue service time. He is on track to become a free agent this winter.
The Dodgers can replace him on the roster and will recall right-hander Ryan Pepiot to start Thursday, originally scheduled to be Urias’ next start.
“From our perspective, we understand that it’s administrative leave. They’ve got to go through the process,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Wednesday. “The players’ association, Julio’s group, Major League Baseball, they’re all going to work through this.”
Catcher Austin Barnes suffered a contusion to his left temple when he was hit by a backswing during a seventh-inning at-bat on Tuesday. He left the game but was feeling better Wednesday, according to Roberts, and had passed the concussion protocol.
“There’s a little bit of a headache,” Roberts said. “He feels good. Just in talking to him, there’s clarity. So my thought is if he continues to feel better, he’ll be catching tomorrow (Thursday) and Will (Smith) will be the DH.”
Right-hander Joe Kelly is tentatively scheduled to make a rehab appearance with Triple-A Oklahoma City this weekend and could rejoin the Dodgers next week, Roberts said.
Dodgers (RHP Ryan Pepiot, 1-0, 1.29 ERA) at Marlins (LHP Braxton Garrett, 8-5, 3.86 ERA), Thursday, 3:40 p.m. SportsNet LA, 570 AM