SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea is expanding an important missile base that would be one of the most likely sites for deploying intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States, two experts on the North’s missile programs said Thursday, citing new research based on satellite imagery.

The activities at the Yeongjeo-dong missile base near North Korea’s border with China and the expansion of a new suspected missile facility 7 miles away are the latest indications that North Korea is continuing to improve its missile capabilities, said Jeffrey Lewis and David Schmerler of the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey in California. And they come despite President Donald Trump’s repeated claims of progress in efforts to denuclearize the North.

Lewis and Schmerler said they were still not sure whether Yeongjeo-dong and the new facility under construction in nearby Hoejung-ni, both in the mountainous area near North Korea’s central border with China, were separate bases or parts of a larger single operation.

But their geographic locations make them ideal to “house long-range missiles,” they said in a report they were preparing.

“The base is located in the interior of North Korea, backed up against the Chinese border,” they said. “It is this location that leads us to believe that the general area is a strong candidate for the deployment of future missiles that can strike the United States.”

This file photo taken on April 15, 2017 shows an unidentified missile and mobile launcher making its way through Kim Il-Sung Square during a military parade marking the 105th anniversary of the birth of late North Korean leader Kim Il-Sung in Pyongyang.

Military planners in Seoul and Washington have long suspected that North Korea would deploy its intercontinental ballistic missiles as close to China as possible to reduce the likelihood of pre-emptive strikes from the United States.

“This is one of the important locations in North Korea our military is monitoring in cooperation with the United States,” Roh Jae-cheon, a South Korean military spokesman, said Thursday about the North Korean base. He declined to share further details.

Following his June summit in Singapore with Kim Jong Un, the North Korean leader, Trump claimed that there was “no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea.” His administration has also repeatedly claimed progress in talks with North Korea, citing the lack of nuclear and ballistic missile tests since the country launched its Hwasong-15 intercontinental ballistic missile in November of last year.

That missile was considered by some experts to be capable of reaching any part of the continental United States, although North Korea is not yet believed to have the ability to deliver nuclear warheads on such missiles.

This photo taken on Nov. 29, 2017 and released on Nov. 30, 2017 by North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows launching of the Hwasong-15 missile which is capable of reaching all parts of the U.S.

After the Hwasong-15 test, Kim said he had a “nuclear button” on his desk that could send missiles hurtling toward the continental United States. In April, he placed …read more

Source:: Nationalpost

      

(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)
North Korea expanding key base from which missiles could strike the U.S., experts warn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *