Snack company pulls ‘One Chip Challenge’ after teen’s death

Paqui is pulling the ‘One Chip Challenge’ from stores after a teenager died in Massachusetts after eating the spicy snack (Picture: GoFundMe / AP)

The manufacturers of an extremely spicy tortilla chip used for the ‘One Chip Challenge’ is pulling the product off shelves after a teenager died hours after eating the snack.

Paqui, a tortilla chip brand owned by the Hershey Company, announced it would remove the ‘One Chip Challenge,’ which was sold as a single-serve snack due to its increasing popularity with children and teenagers.

On September 1, Harris Wolobah, a 14-year-old from Worcester, Massachusetts, was brought home from school after eating the spicy chip.

Hours later, he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Paqui marketed the extremely spicy tortilla chips with the ‘One Chip Challenge’ (Picture: AP)

Wolobah’s cause of death will be determined after an autopsy conducted by the Massachusetts Medical Examiner’s office.

‘The Paqui One Chip Challenge is intended for adults only,’ the company said in a statement.

‘We have seen an increase in teens and other individuals not heeding these warnings. As a result, while the product continues to adhere to food safety standards, out of an abundance of caution, we are working with our retailers to remove the product from shelves.’

The company is also offering refunds for customers who purchased the snack.

The chips came with a warning label indicating that it was not intended to be eaten by children (Picture: AP)

Before the recall, Paqui had marketed the chips on social media, encouraging influencers and celebrities to take the challenge.

It instructed participants to eat the entire chip, then refrain from eating or drinking anything for relief for as long as possible.

The chips were coated with a seasoning made from two of the spiciest chili peppers in the world: the Carolina Reaper and the Naga Viper.

Instructions and information about the challenge have since been removed from Paqui’s website.

The company also placed a large warning on the snack’s website and packaging, instructing consumers to keep the chips out of the reach of children.

It also warned consumers to seek medical attention if they experience ‘difficulty breathing, fainting, or extended nausea.’

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *