UK unleash fresh barrage of attacks on Houthis in Yemen with US

Britain and American forces have carried out another joint operation to bring down Houthi targets in Yemen (Picture: Ministry of Defence/X)

The UK has launched yet another wave of attacks on Houthis in Yemen alongside US forces.

At least 30 Houthi targets have reportedly been struck after missiles were launched by British and American ships and fighter jets.

It comes as part of an effort to further disable Iran-backed groups that have attacked attacked American and international interests since the Israel-Hamas war escalated, US officials said.

Today’s strikes follow an air assault in Iraq and Syria on Friday that targeted other Iranian-backed militias and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard in retaliation for the drone strike that killed three US troops in Jordan last weekend.

Several attacks on Houthis have already been carried out by the UK and US in recent weeks.

A Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesman said: ‘On 3 February, Royal Air Force Typhoon FGR4s, supported by Voyager tankers, joined US forces in a further deliberate strikes against Houthi locations in Yemen involved in their campaign targeting shipping in the Bab al Mandab and southern Red Sea.

‘The Typhoons employed Paveway IV precision guided bombs against multiple military targets identified by careful intelligence analysis at three locations.’

Today’s strikes were launched from UK and US ships and fighter jets – an RAF Typhoon FGR4 aircraft was pictured taking off earlier today (Picture: Ministry of Defence)

Explosions were seen in Yemen after the strikes by RAF jets alongside US forces (Picture: X)

Houthi targets in 10 different locations were also struck by US F/A-18 fighter jets from the USS Dwight D Eisenhower aircraft carrier and by American warships firing Tomahawk missiles from the Red Sea.

The USS Gravely and the USS Carney, both Navy destroyers, launched missiles.

The MoD statement continued: ‘At As Salif, due west of Sanaa on the Red Sea coast, our aircraft targeted a ground control station inside a defensive position.

‘This station had been used to control Houthi drones, both attack and reconnaissance types, launched from further inland, operating over the sea against international shipping.

‘A second drone ground control station was confirmed to be at Al Munirah, on the same stretch of coastline.

‘As with As Salif, the station provided direct control of reconnaissance and attack drones targeting shipping in the Red Sea, its position on the coast allowing it to maintain the line of sight data links such weapons require to target ships with any accuracy.’

The UK’s Ministry of Defence confirmed its involvement in air strikes today (Picture: X)

Weapon technicians were pictured preparing an RAF Typhoon FRG4 aircraft before it left to bomb Houthi targets (Picture: Ministry of Defence)

British Typhoons also attacked a ‘significant number of targets’ at Bani, including further buildings at a site previously successfully struck by the RAF on January 11.

The MoD added: ‘As is standard practice with such operations by the Royal Air Force, the strikes were very carefully planned to ensure minimal risk of civilian casualties, and by bombing at night, any such risks were further mitigated.’

Saturday’s strikes marked the third time the US and Britain had conducted a large, joint operation to strike Houthi weapon launchers, radar sites and drones.

But the Houthis have made it clear that they have no intention of scaling back their assault.

Houthi troops have targeted ships in the Red Sea in the last month (Picture: EPA)

There are growing concerns over the escalating conflict (Picture: EPA)

On Friday, the US destroyer Laboon and F/A-18s from the Eisenhower shot down seven drones fired from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen into the Red Sea, the destroyer Carney shot down a drone fired in the Gulf of Aden and US forces took out four more drones that were prepared to launch.

Hours before the latest joint operation, the US took another self-defence strike on a site in Yemen, destroying six anti-ship cruise missiles, as it has repeatedly when it has detected a missile or drone ready to launch.

It comes amid growing fears that Nato is preparing for the potential breakout of World War Three with its biggest training operation in 33 years.

Just last week, Brits were warned they could face conscription within the next six years if Vladimir Putin isn’t defeated as Russia’s war on Ukraine rumbles on.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *