A woman cooking on her stovetop early Saturday morning ignited a fire that left her with severe burns and badly damaged her apartment.
Oakland firefighters responded to calls just before 4 a.m. at the California Hotel apartments on San Pablo Avenue in Oakland’s Longfellow neighborhood north of downtown.
The 50-year-old victim was found by building staff in the hallway with her clothes on fire. Hunt said that she had severe burns over 65% of her body, and was transported to a local hospital.
Sprinklers put out the fire in the unit, preventing it from spreading to other apartments, said Oakland Fire spokesman Michael Hunt. The affected unit sustained extensive water damage.
The fire appears to have been accidental, Hunt said. No other residents were displaced or injured.