Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard had a tough time at Goodison Park (Picture: Getty Images)
Ashley Cole feels there was just too much for Frank Lampard to deal with off the pitch during their spell at Everton, saying it was perhaps the wrong time for the pair to take on their roles at Goodison Park.
Cole joined the coaching staff at Everton and was there for just under a year before Lampard was sacked in January and replaced by Sean Dyche.
It was a tough spell for the two Chelsea legends early in their managerial and coaching careers, but Cole insists it has not put him off a career in the dugout.
The former Arsenal and Blues star is now working with the England Under-21 side and says it is only since leaving Everton that he has realised the issues that Lampard had to deal with at Everton outside of just coaching and managing the team.
‘I learnt a lot that I probably can’t mention to you, to be honest,’ Cole said, via the Daily Mail. ‘But I think it’s put me in good stead. It’s certainly not put me off.
‘It’s certainly made me very aware of how tough the job is and how tough managers have it, in terms of the Premier League.
Frank would have had a lot of challenges that us, as coaches, weren’t aware of and stuff that was above us. How he has to manage up and manage the staff around him, of course it’s going to be difficult.
‘Maybe it was a transitional period for the club, (so) it was always going to be hard. It’s a humungous club. We wanted to do better for the club, but was it just that we were there are the wrong time?’
Dyche made a perfect start to life after Lampard by beating Arsenal in his first match, but a relegation scrap is still on as the Toffees are just one point above the drop zone.
MORE : Real Madrid star Antonio Rudiger reacts to facing Chelsea in Champions League
MORE : Rio Ferdinand makes Champions League predictions including Chelsea vs Real Madrid and Manchester City vs Bayern Munich
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
- Paul Merson makes Premier League predictions for Arsenal v Crystal Palace and Chelsea v Everton Sports Paul Merson has made his prediction for the Premier League fixtures (Picture: Sky Sports) Paul Merson has revealed his predictions for Arsenal’s clash with Crystal Palace and Everton’s trip to Chelsea in the Premier League this weekend. With Manchester City playing in the FA Cup, Arsenal will move eight points…
- Frank Pollack on the next steps for Jonah Williams and the struggle to find the right tackle News It seems Jonah Williams and La’el Collins will fight to be the right start. By Patrick Judis on March 16, 2023 4:21 p.m The Cincinnati Bengals went out and made one of the biggest splashes this offseason by landing left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. We all know what happens when…
- ‘American Pickers’: Emergency Calls Reveal Frank Fritz Had Multiple ‘Full-Blown Seizures’ After Stroke Entertainment <p>History’s <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/reality-tv/">reality TV</a> series,<em> <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/american-pickers-antique-sellers-paid-appear-show.html/">American Pickers</a></em>, continues without Frank Fritz. <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/american-pickers-mike-wolfe-frank-fritz-never-competed-profits-source-said.html/">Fritz and Mike Wolfe</a> once hosted the show together, but now, Wolfe carries the torch without Fritz. After Fritz’s stroke in July 2022, he reportedly had “full-blown seizures” the following winter. Here’s what allegedly went down according…
- Frank Clark Sounds Off on Chiefs Signing His Potential Replacement Sports Exactly a week after news broke on March 7 that the Kansas City Chiefs would be releasing veteran defensive end Frank Clark, the defending Super Bowl champions signed a free agent that could potentially replace Clark and do so at a much cheaper rate. That player is defensive end Charles Omenihu, who…
- Ashley Graham graciously shrugged off her red carpet beef with Hugh Grant Entertainment Everyone had strong opinions about Hugh Grant’s moment on the Oscar red carpet with Ashley Graham, one of ABC’s red carpet hosts. Ashley, a model/personality, was one of like five people representing ABC on various points of the red carpet. Clearly, Oscar producers/ABC producers were shuttling celebrities to various interview…