Usa news

Chelsea identify Arsenal and Man Utd target as Enzo Fernandez replacement

Chelsea's Argentinian midfielder #08 Enzo Fernandez reacts after failing to score during the pre-season friendly football match between Chelsea and Real Sociedad at Stamford Bridge in London on August 15, 2026. (Photo by Adrian DENNIS / AFP via Getty Images)
Enzo Fernandez is wanted by Manchester City (Source: AFP)

Chelsea still plan to replace Enzo Fernandez with a new signing if the club captain departs for Manchester City before the transfer deadline.

The size of the task facing new City boss Enzo Maresca was laid bare at the Millennium Stadium on Sunday as Arsenal strolled to a 3-0 Community Shield win.

Confirmation of Rodri’s impending transfer to Barcelona a matter of hours later rubbed salt into the wounds and partially explained why Maresca was so keen to point out that City required further reinforcements in the wake of the defeat against the Premier League champions.

To that end the FA Cup holders, who have already spent £116 million on Elliot Anderson this summer, are close to agreeing a deal with Lille to sign Ayyoub Bouaddi and wish to further bolster their midfield options with the signing of Fernandez.

Get the latest transfer news every morning

Sign up to our daily football newsletter for personalised updates on who your team is trying to sign and who won’t be around next season.

According to the Telegraph, Chelsea’s valuation of Fernandez has increased with time running out to source his potential successor.

Should City wish to sign the Argentina international they will now have to pay more than the £120million they were quoted earlier this summer.

Fernandez’s valuation hasn’t been dented by the frosty reception he was treated to over the weekend when a section of the Stamford Bridge crowd booed him as a result of the speculation surrounding his future and his antics during Argentina’s World Cup semi-final win over England.

Enzo Fernandez received a less then friendly reception upon his return to Chelsea (Photo: Getty)

If City give up the chase,Chelsea remain confident that Fernandez can be reintegrated back into the squad, but an exit would see Xabi Alonso dip back into the transfer market.

The Blues had an offer rejected for Alex Scott last month with Bournemouth insisting their star midfielder isn’t for sale.

Arsenal and Manchester United have also been monitoring the England international but they have secured alternative midfield targets and Chelsea could yet test the water again unchallenged.

Alonso, meanwhile, did not hold a press conference after the Sociedad win but said he was ‘delighted’ with the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge, despite the abuse aimed at Fernandez, and thanked fans for the ‘great reception’.

‘It was emotional to feel my first time in the new home,’ Alonso, who was appointed manager over the summer, told Chelsea’s official website.

‘A great reception from the supporters to the team and to the new staff, myself as well, so delighted.

‘We want to create good connections and have that support. We want to give them good football so they will give us energy, and we connect. To have a good atmosphere here in the stadium will be a massive boost for the team.’

Exit mobile version