Christian Eriksen has been out of action for two months (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag has confirmed Christian Eriksen will return to first team action next month.
The Dane has been out since the end of January after sustaining ankle ligament damage following a nasty challenge from Andy Carroll in an FA Cup win against Reading at Old Trafford.
United were forced into signing Marcel Sabitzer on an emergency loan on deadline day following the news that Eriksen would be out for up to three months.
The Red Devils have sorely missed Eriksen’s creativity in central midfield and Ten Hag has played Bruno Fernandes in a deeper role in recent weeks to combat the Dane’s absence.
United face Fulham in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Sunday before a two-week international break, which Ten Hag will likely welcome given the side’s recent fixture pile-up.
And though the Dutchman says Eriksen is not in contention for Sunday, he’s revealed Eriksen is close to a comeback.
United have sorely missed Eriksen . (Photo by Joe Prior/Visionhaus via Getty Images)
‘He won’t be ready for Sunday, but he will be ready in April,’ said Ten Hag.
‘He’s about to come back.’
It’s a significant boost for United, who will be without Casemiro for the next four matches as he serves a suspension for a second red card of the season.
Scott McTominay is also a doubt for Sunday, meaning United are down to Fred and Sabitzer in central areas.
Anthony Martial will also miss the tie, despite returning to full training earlier this week.
MORE : Real Madrid keeping tabs on Manchester United and Bayern Munich target Harry Kane
MORE : Jamie Carragher says Manchester United face ‘real fight’ to finish in top four
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.