In this case, the Washington Commanders might actually be looking out for the safety of their young quarterback.
The Commanders officially ruled second-year quarterback Jayden Daniels out against the Denver Broncos in a Week 13 Sunday Night Football matchup with a dislocated left elbow. It’s the third consecutive game Daniels has missed and sixth game he’s missed due to injury this season.
On the flip side of that, wide receiver Terry McLaurin (quad) is expected to play for the first time since a Week 8 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.
The Commanders have lost 6 consecutive games and are 3-8 overall one year after playing in the NFC Championship Game.
The Broncos have won 8 consecutive games and are on pace to break the NFL’s single season sacks record set by the 1984 Chicago Bears.
“Commanders HC Dan Quinn ruled out QB Jayden Daniels for Sunday night’s game vs. Denver but expects WR Terry McLaurin to play,” ESPN’s Adam Schefter wrote on his official X account on Friday, November 28.
McLaurin has missed a career high 7 games this season.
Veteran backup quarterback Marcus Mariota will start in place of Daniels. Mariota is 1-4 in 5 starts this season.
‘Outrage’ to Start Daniels Again This Year
There is one school of thought that starting Daniels again this year would show a high level of irresponsible behavior on the part of the Commanders.
“It would be an outrage if the Commanders started Jayden Daniels again this year,” The Ringer’s Joe House said on Tuesday, November 25. “You just can’t do it. If he gets hurt again and misses time for 2026 … that would be such a disservice to him and to the whole franchise.”
Daniels hasn’t seemed very good even when he’s played — his ability to run no longer there and his ability to throw the ball downfield missing without McLaurin in the lineup.
Front Office Taking Fire for Lost Season
The Commanders are also being created out for creating a huge disadvantage internally before the season even started.
The decision to not sign McLaurin immediately after last season — when the price would have been lowest — and drag it out until right before the regular season seems to be the biggest culprit in the Commanders’ lost year.
The Commanders eventually signed McLaurin to a 3-year, $97 million contract extension on August 25 — less than 2 weeks before the season opener against the New York Giants — but not after costing themselves and second year quarterback Jayden Daniels an entire offseason of training and throwing with his top target.
The whole situation is made even worse after the Commanders went 12-5 and made the NFC Championship Game in 2024 for the first time since 1991 and entered this season as legitimate Super Bowl contenders.
“The Commanders have messed this season up,” ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith said on October 21. ” … They really messed it up. The Washington Commanders messed up because they took for granted what happened last year. They thought they could play games. I’m blaming their front office for anything that’s happened this season. Take into account the quad (injury) as being in football shape and being in proper condition (for McLaurin). They let business get in the way of the business of winning games and now it’s messing with them on the football field.”
Like Heavy Sports’s content? Be sure to follow us.
This article was originally published on Heavy Sports
The post Commanders Make Pair of Huge Injury Decisions for Broncos Game appeared first on Heavy Sports.