Hurricanes Star Publicly Addresses Recent Trade Report

Carolina Hurricanes winger Andrei Svechnikov has officially addressed a recent report that he would be open to a trade. NHL insider Elliotte Friedman reported on November 22 that the Russian star had become unhappy with a demotion to the fourth line. As a result, Svechnikov allegedly told the Canes that he would accept a move out of Raleigh if they wanted to trade him.

Nevertheless, the forward has now labeled the story as “just a rumor” when asked about the situation on November 25. According to Canes beat writer Cory Lavalette, reporters pressed further by asking if there was any validity to Friedman’s report. Svechnikov replied by saying, “No, no.”

The winger also added that he is used to trade rumors by now, and previously deleted his social media accounts. When asked how he deals with the noise, Svechnikov told reporters: “You just close your eyes and play your hockey.” The Hurricanes next face the New York Rangers on November 26, their first matchup of a seven-game home stand.


Andrei Svechnikov has Turned Around his Season After a Slow Start

GettyAndrei Svechnikov has recorded nine points in his last 10 games.

Friedman’s report initially stems from Svechnikov’s slow start to the 2025-26 season. The Russian star opened the campaign with zero points in his first eight games. At the time, he was featured on the top two lines alongside centers Sebastian Aho and Logan Stankoven. However, head coach Rod Brind’Amour eventually dropped Svechnikov down to the fourth line. The move meant fewer minutes on the ice for the winger.

Brind’Amour’s decision to light a fire under Svechnikov has seemingly worked. After previously looking out of it, the star has since racked up nine points in his last 10 matchups. This tally includes scoring the eventual game-winning goal against the Winnipeg Jets on November 21.

Svechnikov’s rebound has also forced Brind’Amour to move him back to the top line. He is now regularly featuring back alongside Aho and Seth Jarvis again. Due to his play as of late, Friedman has suggested that the trade talk surrounding Svechnikov has cooled down.


Canes Better with Svechnikov, but Could be Forced to Make Move in Future

The Hurricanes will likely be patient regarding Svechnikov’s future with the team. He is currently the club’s third-highest annual earner, carrying an AAV of $7.75 million. His massive contract also does not expire until the summer of 2029.

Carolina is clearly a significantly better team when Svechnikov is at his best. In fact, the team has only lost once in regulation this season when the winger has grabbed a point. Because of this, the Canes would prefer to keep the Russian and make moves to improve the roster in other areas. This, however, could change in the future if Svechnikov becomes more adamant about a trade in the future.

Any potential deal involving the Russian would be a blockbuster trade. Assuming Svechnikov is moved at some point, a host of teams would be interested. One possible solution for everyone involved could be an agreement with the Vancouver Canucks.

Friedman is now reporting that the Canucks are listening to trade offers for their veteran players. One player that has been linked with a move out of the Canadian team is center Elias Pettersson. It was also previously revealed that the Canes nearly acquired the star during the 2024-25 season. Carolina’s biggest weakness at the moment is at the center position, and chasing Pettersson again could make sense.

Like Heavy Sports’s content? Be sure to follow us.

This article was originally published on Heavy Sports

The post Hurricanes Star Publicly Addresses Recent Trade Report appeared first on Heavy Sports.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *