Usa news

Roy Keane rates Man Utd Premier League title chances with Carlos Baleba signing

BRIGHTON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 16: Carlos Baleba of Brighton & Hove Albion during the Premier League match between Brighton & Hove Albion and Fulham at Amex Stadium on August 16, 2025 in Brighton, England. (Photo by Crystal Pix/MB Media/Getty Images)
Baleba is closing in on a move to Old Trafford (Picture: Getty Images Europe)

Roy Keane is not convinced Manchester United’s summer rebuild is enough to transform them into Premier League title challengers.

With Casemiro leaving the club and Manuel Ugarte sidelined with a long-term knee injury, United’s recruitment this summer has focused on central midfield.

Andrey Santos was brought in from Chelsea for £48million with Youri Tielemans following from Aston Villa after his £35m release clause was activated.

Carlos Baleba is now in their sights with United thought to be close to agreeing a £65m move for the Brighton star who they initially tried to sign a year ago.

Exclusive Premier League previews

Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free.

With Kobbie Mainoo showing his quality once again under Michael Carrick last season, United now have real variation and depth in the middle of the park should Baleba complete his move.

United spent close to £200million on Bryan Mbeumo, Matheus Cunha and Benjamin Sesko in rebuilding their attack last summer, with that investment showing plenty of promise last season.

Keane however believes United’s defence needs rebuilding before talk of a title challenge can be taken seriously, also questioning whether their signings in midfield are good enough to take them to the top.

Keane is not sold on the midfield rebuild (Picture: Visionhaus/Getty Images)

Asked if Baleba’s arrival leaves United with a ‘good midfield’, Keane told Stick to Football: ‘I think that’s a good way of putting it, a good midfield.

‘But if you’re on about winning the league, I think it’s short. United’s big problems are still going to be defensively. That midfield and going forward, there is a big goal threat at United, they were very good last year with it, especially when Carrick took over they were a real goal threat.

‘But the issue is at the back, the full-backs and the two centre-halves are still a big issue. But on paper, they [the midfield] jump out as really good players. But is there a league-winning midfield there? Probably not. No, I don’t see it.’

Tielemans joined United for £35m (Picture: Getty)

Tielemans arrived at Old Trafford for £35m, a relatively modest fee for a player who was a key player under Unai Emery at Villa.

While commending United for ending a recent trend of splashing out on big transfer fees and wages, he described the Belgium international as a ‘safety bet’ for the club this summer.

I think he’s a good player. But I don’t think it [the signing] wins the league,’ Keane said.

‘Tielemans is a safety bet for United. Over the last few years, Casemiro is a good example, players have come in huge money, big wages. Tielemans knows the Premier League, is a good international, having gone to Old Trafford with Vila and had success he will be fine with the expectation. But will he get United to the very top? No.’

Exit mobile version