Tyson Fury shares ripped Instagram selfie and sends message to Oleksandr Usyk after heavyweight title fight is called off

Tyson Fury’s heavyweight title fight with Oleksandr Usyk has been postponed (Picture: Getty)

Tyson Fury has told Oleksandr Usyk he would have been ‘in trouble’ had their undisputed heavyweight title fight gone ahead as planned later this month.

The boxing world was rocked this evening as it was announced that the eagerly bout bout between Fury and Usyk – set for February 17 – had been postposed with just two weeks notice after the Gypsy King suffered a gruesome cut above his right eye.

Fury and Usyk had been preparing to go to war in Saudi Arabia to crown the first undisputed heavyweight ruler since Lennox Lewis back in 1999. 

It’s understood Fury, the undefeated Brit, required 15 stitches after an accidental head clash while sparring and the fight is likely to be rescheduled for either June or July.

The cut appears to be a recurrence of the grisly injury Fury sustained during his victory over Otto Wallin back in September 2019 – a problem that has aggravated the 35-year-old ever since.

According to Boxing News, Usyk’s team are now seeking a fight against IBF mandatory challenger Filip Hrgovic instead.

Just moments after the news broke, Fury took to Instagram to post a selfie and a brief message underlining his intention to get the fight rescheduled as soon as possible.

‘Cant [sic] help getting injored [sic] in sparring but what I can say was Usyk was in trouble I am in fantastic shape,’ Fury said.

‘I will resheduel [sic] soon as I can. 2024 a massive year for team GK #undisputed #wbcking.’

In a separate statement, a ‘devastated’ Fury issued an apology and stressed that he would be doing everything in his power to get a rescheduled date locked in.

‘I am absolutely devastated after preparing for this fight for so long and being in such superb condition,’ he said.

‘I feel bad for everyone involved in this huge event and I will work diligently towards the rescheduled date once the eye has healed.

‘I can only apologise to everyone affected including my own team. Team Usyk, the undercard fighters, partners, and fans as well as our hosts and my friends in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.’

More Trending

Read More Stories

A statement from Queensberry Promotions read: ‘WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has been forced to postpone his fight with unified champion Oleksandr Usyk after sustaining a freak cut during a sparring session in Riyadh.

‘The cut, which opened above Fury’s right eye, required urgent medical attention and significant stitching and will obviously require a period of recovery, scuppering any possibility of the fight with Usyk taking place on 17th February in Saudi Arabia.

‘Whilst this is still breaking news it is clearly a massive disappointment, after the work that has been done by so many people to finally deliver this historic event to the world.

‘Once the doctors have appraised Tyson’s eye, we will have a better idea of the period of recovery needed. Once known we will work diligently with all the stakeholders and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to reschedule this fight as soon as possible and will of course keep everyone updated with developments.’


MORE : ‘He’s too old’ – Plans for Tommy Fury to fight boxing legend Roy Jones Jr OFF, confirms John Fury


MORE : Joshua Buatsi vs Dan Azeez needs no hype, every British boxing fan should be invested in this

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *