OAKLAND — Prosecutors here have settled a rape case here by allowing the defendant to plead to a lesser crime of assault for a mix of jail, probation, and monitoring, court records show.
Eric Conley, 23, pleaded no contest to assault likely to produce great bodily injury and in exchange, prosecutors dropped rape, forcible oral copulation, forcible sodomy and unlawful sexual intercourse charges against him. The case involved allegations that Conley sexually assaulted a 16-year-old girl after they met on social media.
In return for his plea, Conley will be sentenced to a mix of things: He must remain in jail until January, at which time he’ll technically be sentenced to a year of county jail, but allowed to serve it on house arrest with an ankle monitor, according to court records. He’ll also receive a two-year probation term and be discharged to San Joaquin County.
Conley was arrested last year. At the time, the girl told police she knew Conley from social media and contacted him for a phone charger because her cellphone was running out of battery. When he arrived in a vehicle he convinced her to get in the car with him and they drove off to another part of Oakland, where he sexually assaulted her, she told authorities.
The girl texted her mom for help at the precise moment that her mother was filing a missing person’s report with Oakland police, authorities said.
Related Posts:
- Oakland man settles rape case by pleading no contest to assault News OAKLAND — Prosecutors here have settled a rape case here by allowing the defendant to plead to a lesser crime of assault for a mix of jail, probation, and monitoring, court records show. Eric Conley, 23, pleaded no contest to assault likely to produce great bodily injury and in exchange,…
- RealPage settles rent price-fixing lawsuit with Justice Department News Landlords could no longer rely on rent-pricing software to quietly track each other’s moves and push rents higher using confidential data, under a settlement between RealPage and federal prosecutors to end what critics said was illegal “algorithmic collusion.” The deal announced Monday by the Justice Department follows a yearlong federal…
- Border Patrol chief Gregory Bovino's 'word means nothing, protester says after assault case is dismissed News U.S. Border Patrol Cmdr. Gregory Bovino stood beside Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem at the immigration enforcement facility in Broadview on Oct. 3 as she gave dozens of his agents a pep talk, telling them it was time to “go hard” and “hammer” protesters. The protesters included several Jewish faithful…
- Celebrities join forces for ’24-Hour Rape Truce’ film Entertainment ‘Do you remember pictures you’ve seen of European cities during the plague?’ Andrea Dworkin asked in 1983. ‘There were wheelbarrows that would go along. They would just pick up corpses and throw them in. ‘That is what it is like knowing about rape… ‘Piles and piles and piles of bodies…
- Only murder, manslaughter and rape cases could be heard in court under new proposals News People would have ‘no right’ to juries (Picture: Getty Images) Juries could be scrapped for all but the most serious crimes under new plans being considered by the Justice Secretary. David Lammy has reportedly written a memo to ministers and senior civil servants to say there was ‘no right’ to…
(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)