BBC DJ Trevor Nelson reveals brain tumour diagnosis in update after stepping down

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

BBC radio DJ Trevor Nelson has revealed he had a brain tumour, two months after taking a break from work due to ‘health issues’.

The R&B icon, 62, announced in June that he would be extending his Radio 2 break to focus on his health but did not share details at the time.

He has now revealed that he was actually facing a brain tumour, which has turned his world ‘upside down’.

‘I’m feeling good. I will be back to work very soon,’ he captioned a video on Instagram. ‘To radio first and later to my DJ gigs. Thank you for all your messages, your love and your support. ❤️’

In the clip he told fans: ‘A lot of you may have seen the post that I put up at the start of summer, saying that I was stepping back from all my work commitments due to illness.

‘There’s been a lot of speculation as to what’s wrong with me, I know that much. My phone’s blown up 20 times over with people asking what’s wrong with me.

BBC DJ Trevor Nelson reveals brain tumour diagnosis in update after stepping down
Trevor Nelson has revealed he had a brain tumour (Picture: Trevor Nelson)
For use in UK, Ireland or Benelux countries only Undated BBC handout photo of Trevor Nelson as he takes part in the BBC Radio 2 takeover of CBeebies Bedtime Stories. Issue date: Tuesday August 27, 2024. PA Photo. See PA story SHOWBIZ Radio2. Photo credit should read: Amanda Searle/BBC/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: Not for use more than 21 days after issue. You may use this picture without charge only for the purpose of publicising or reporting on current BBC programming, personnel or other BBC output or activity within 21 days of issue. Any use after that time MUST be cleared through BBC Picture Publicity. Please credit the image to the BBC and any named photographer or independent programme maker, as described in the caption.
He stepped back from the BBC in June citing his health as the main reason (Picture: Amanda Searle/BBC/PA Wire)

‘Due to the love and the positive vibes, thousands of you have been sending me, I felt that I should at least tell you what is wrong with me and what happened to me.’

He added that he wasn’t planning to go into huge detail right now but said he might ‘deep dive’ into it later so fans could hear the ‘whole crazy story’.

Trevor continued: ‘I’ll tell you this, I was minding my own business and then it was discovered that I had a brain tumour.

‘As you can imagine, I was shocked. In fact, my world was turned upside down.’

He said ‘quite literally’ that his head was ‘all over the place’ but that he knew he had to stop work.

Trevor confirmed he had a ‘very serious surgery’ that went well, spending the last month in recovery and in post-op treatment.’

‘I can only tell you the truth,’ he added. ‘I feel great right now, I feel ready to come back. I feel energised and almost back to myself.

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 28: Trevor Nelson arrives at The Mike Gala: Stormzy's 30th Birthday at The Biltmore Mayfair on July 28, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by Lia Toby/Getty Images)
He said he was now recovering after the ‘serious situation’ (Picture: Lia Toby/Getty Images)

‘I’ve had a really serious situation but I’ve come out the other side and I feel great. I feel raring to go. I feel in good health.’

Trevor is a well known voice on the radio and presents weekdays 2-4pm on Radio 2, and BBC Radio 1Xtra each Sunday, 11am – 1pm.

Earlier this year, he won the Judge’s Special Recognition Award at the ARIAs, the industry’s yearly awards, and earlier this week he won another industry prize, the TRIC Special Award, recognising his broadcasting career across radio and television.

In June he had said that during a routine check-up he was advised to get further testing, which meant he would be stepping back.

‘So I’m concentrating on getting better, being back to 100% me and to getting back behind the mic and the decks,’ he said at the time.

In the latest update, Trevor reassured fans he would be back on the airwaves in no time as a first step before returning as a DJ at live events.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *