UK music festival axed days before start despite thousands of tickets sold
A major Cheltenham music festival has been suddenly cancelled(Picture: Getty Images)
A major music festival due to take place in Cheltenham this weekend has been cancelled, just days before fans were set to arrive.
Around 4,500 tickets had been sold for the Cheltenham Tribute Festival, which was due to be staged at Cheltenham Racecourse on Saturday.
The event was set to feature tributes to chart-topping acts including Queen, The Killers, and Dua Lipa.
But organisers Social Eats Events confirmed they have withdrawn their licence application after admitting they failed to allow enough time for it to be processed by Cheltenham Borough Council.
‘In hindsight, we recognise that the three-month window allowed for the licensing process was not sufficient, and we sincerely apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience this will cause,’ the company said in a statement.
Ticketing platform Skiddle will contact customers regarding refund options, though organisers say tickets will remain valid for a rescheduled date.
The racecourse was set to host a variety of tribute acts across the festival (Picture: Mike Egerton/PA Wire)
There were already previous concerns that the festival could cause ‘significant public nuisance’ (Picture: Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
The cancellation comes after the festival faced the possibility of being blocked from going ahead amid concerns it could cause ‘significant public nuisance.’
Environmental protection officers at both Cheltenham and Tewkesbury Borough Councils raised objections, citing public safety and noise issues.
A spokesperson for Cheltenham Borough Council said: ‘The safety advisory group clearly communicated these concerns to both the event organiser and the racecourse as landowners.
The event had sold around 4500 tickets (Picture: Rob Loud/WireImage)
A Dua Lipa tribute act was among the festival’s main draws (Picture: Charles McQuillan/Getty Images)
‘The event organiser has taken the decision to cancel the event and, as a result, has also withdrawn the licensing application which meant the licensing hearing was no longer necessary.’
Overwhelmingly, the reason for these cancellations seem to be organisational or funding issues.
No alternative date has yet been confirmed for the Cheltenham festival’s return.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
BBC legend confirms TV comeback 2 years after being axed from Channel 4 Entertainment Steph McGovern has confirmed details of new presenting gigs (Picture: Lia Toby/Getty Images) Former BBC presenter Steph McGovern has confirmed she will be returning to TV presenting with two new shows, after her daytime show was dramatically axed by Channel 4. The 43-year-old hosted Steph’s Packed Lunch at the midday…
Powerball jackpot hits $815 million — time to get those tickets News The 14th-largest lottery jackpot in U.S. history, $815 million, will be on the line in Wednesday’s Powerball drawing after no tickets with all six numbers were sold for 37 consecutive drawings. There hasn’t been a drawing with a grand prize winner since May 31, when a ticket worth $207 million…
How To Get Tickets For Maxim’s Hot 100 Party In Los Angeles News Maxim is bringing its signature brand of high-energy heat to the West Coast to mark the Hot 100 issue’s 30th anniversary on Friday, August 29 at premier Hollywood hotspot Eden Sunset. For three decades, the Maxim Hot 100 has served as a definitive authority on global glamour and influence. This…
‘Bright and outgoing’ teenage girl dies after attending music festival News Mia Keevan, from Tipperary, died after attending the music festival in Belfast A 17-year-old girl who ‘touched the hearts of anyone who knew her’ has died at a music festival. Mia Keevan, from Tipperary, Northern Ireland, died in hospital after becoming unwell at Emerge on Boucher Playing Fields in Belfast…
‘Bright and outgoing’ teenage girl dies after attending music festival News Mia Keevan, from Tipperary, died after attending the music festival in Belfast A 17-year-old girl who ‘touched the hearts of anyone who knew her’ has died at a music festival. Mia Keevan, from Tipperary, Northern Ireland, died in hospital after becoming unwell at Emerge on Boucher Playing Fields in Belfast…
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.