Advocate Health latest system to make cuts to gender-affirming care

Advocate Health has become the latest health system to capitulate to President Donald Trump’s demands to end gender-affirming care for minors.

In a statement Thursday, the health system said it was reaching out to patients to inform them it would stop providing gender-affirming medications — including hormone therapy — for patients under 19.

“Like many health systems across the country, we have been closely monitoring the evolving regulatory environment pertaining to health care,” the statement said. “We have revised our policy to no longer provide or prescribe gender-affirming care medications for patients under age 19.”

The statement also said Advocate had established a 24/7 hotline for its patients, specifically to answer questions and provide counseling needs after “recognizing that this will be difficult news.” Advocate did not disclose how many patients would be effected.

“We recognize that this is a deeply complex issue, and this decision was made after a multi-disciplinary team spent numerous hours carefully considering the options and outcomes,” the statement said. “This new policy allows our hospitals, clinics and pharmacies to continue caring for all patients’ health needs in the changing federal environment.”

Chicago hospitals began cutting back on trans care for youth this year after Trump issued an executive order vowing to cut off funding to institutions that provided this type of care.

About a week later, Lurie Children’s Hospital stopped gender-affirming surgeries for patients younger than 19. Many of those patients were referred to nearby Northwestern Memorial Hospital, which also canceled their appointments.

Then last month, Rush University Medical Center said it would no longer provide hormone therapy for new trans patients under 18, and University of Chicago cut all gender-affirming care days later. As of Aug. 1, UI Health also suspended surgeries for patients younger than 19 — months after they were sued for doing so.

Advocate’s statement echoes the University of Chicago’s, which said it was a “difficult decision,” but that it suspended the care to ensure it could continue to care for “all Medicare and Medicaid patients,” which make up “the majority of those [UChicago Medicine] serves.”

The American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics support access to gender-affirming care.

A 2021 study from the Journal of the American Medical Association also concluded access to gender-affirming care is linked to improved psychological health and lower rates of suicidal ideation. States that passed anti-trans laws aimed at youth saw suicide attempts among trans teens increase by as much as 72% after the bills were signed, according to an article published in Nature Human Behaviour journal.

Last month, the federal government shut down the 988 suicide prevention hotline’s specialized services for LGBTQ+ people, though Illinois officials have vowed to continue funding it.

Now that gender-affirming care for youth is limited, some are turning to costly private providers to fill the gaps.

Ald. Jesse Fuentes (26th) introduced a City Council resolution condemning Rush and Lurie Children’s Hospital, though it hasn’t left committee.

Contributing: Kristen Schorsch

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *