Aides ‘knew Prince Andrew’s image was irrecoverable’ after Newsnight interview
Prince Andrew’s 2019 interview with Emily Maitlis helped trigger his suspension from royal duties (Picture: Mark Harrison/Camera Press)
Prince Andrew’s entourage felt his reputation was ‘irrecoverable’ soon after his disastrous Newsnight interview, newly released documents reveal.
Previously secret documents relating to a tribunal for an alleged Chinese spy linked to the Duke of York were made public on Friday.
Dominic Hampshire, a senior aide to the Duke until he left the royal household in 2022, gave evidence the Special Immigration Appeals Commission in the case of Yang Tengbo, also known as Chris Yang.
Yang, who denies wrongdoing, was removed from the UK on national security grounds in 2023.
The tribunal’s judges found he was a ‘close confidant’ of Andrew, having ‘won a significant degree, one could say an unusual degree, of trust’.
In his witness statement, which was made available on Friday, Mr Hampshire said: ‘After the Newsnight interview and in the following few months, it was clear that the duke’s reputation was irrecoverable.
The interview saw Andrew challenged over allegations, which he denies, that he had sex with Virginia Roberts Giuffre when she was 17 (Picture: TNS)
‘This was a common feeling within the royal household, despite what the duke thought may happen.
‘It was very clear internally within the royal household that we would have to look at options for the duke’s future away from royal duties.’
Yang was the founder-partner of the China arm of Pitch@Palace, a scheme to help start-up businesses set up by Andrew while he was still a working royal and continued with after he was disgraced.
It was seen as a successful venture at the time, although entrepreneurs have since criticised its and concerns have been raised about whether Andrew unfairly use contacts he gained as a working royal.
Chris Yang, second from left, ran the China arm of Andrew’s Pitch@Palace venture
Former MP Norman Baker this week branded it a ‘crude attempt to enrich himself’.
In his witness statement, Hampshire said Yang was seen as ‘arguably the only light at the end of the tunnel’ for Andrew after the duke’s Newsnight interview trashed his reputation in China.
However he said there had ‘never been one single red flag in my head’ about him and Andrew was ‘of the same opinion’.
Yang ‘categorically does not have a close relationship with the duke’, Hampshire added.
Who was Stewart Andrew’s late wife Sadie Andrew and what was the horse owner’s cause of death? Sports RACEHORSE owner Stewart Andrew’s wife Sadie was his partner in life and business until she sadly passed away in December 2022. But her legacy lives on in eight-year-old horse Nick Rocket, who’s in with a shot at some of the £1million prize fund in the 2025 grand National. Alamy Jockey…
‘I knew that when I started boxing’ – Delicious Orie ready to step up as Britain’s next heavyweight star Sports DELICIOUS ORIE entered boxing ready to exploit a heavyweight gap in the market. Born in Moscow to a Russian mother and Nigerian father, Orie’s family moved to England when he was seven years old. Delicious Orie prepares to turn professional PA He was beaten in the 2024 Olympics by Armenia’s Davit Chaloyan[/caption] But…
Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order DAYS before horror bus crash News PRINCE Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre had been charged with breaching a family violence restraining order just days before her horror bus crash. The 41-year-old, who was trafficked by billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, entered no plea at the Magistrates Court in Joondalup, near Perth, Western Australia. Virginia Giuffre was a sex trafficking…
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok