At least five people injured in frenzied knife rampage near Amsterdam’s famous Dam Square as cops cordon off landmark

AT least five people have been injured in a frenzied knife rampage near Amsterdam’s central Dam Square, Dutch cops said on Thursday.

Emergency services rushed to the scene on Sint Nicolaasstraat shortly after 3.20pm local time, following reports of a knife attack.

XSeveral people are injured after a reported knife attack in Amsterdam[/caption]

A helicopter was seen landing on the iconic Dam Square

APDutch police have since sealed off the area[/caption]

Paramedics rushed to the scene on Thursday afternoonRex

Two ambulances were initially dispatched, with a further three called just ten minutes later as the situation escalated.

A trauma team was also deployed via helicopter, which landed directly on the iconic Dam Square — prompting a large-scale cordon around the area.

One witness told local outlet De Telegraaf they suddenly heard an “icy scream” before panic broke out.

A shop worker added she heard a lot of shouting and screaming as people were seen running on the streets.

One suspect has since been arrested but cops have not yet confirmed the motive behind the attack.

“We are present at the Sint Nicolaasstraat near the Dam after a report of a stabbing incident with injuries,” the Amsterdam Police Unit said in a statement.

“There is therefore a cordon, also on the Dam. More information will follow.”

A meeting at Amsterdam’s Stopera building was interrupted and mayor Femke Halsema was pulled out of a council meeting when news of the attack broke.

Police have sealed off the area as they continue their investigation, urging anyone with footage of the incident to come forward and upload it on their website.

It comes after a Syrian asylum seeker was charged with murder after a 14-year-old boy was stabbed to death in a knife rampage in Austria.

Officials say the 23-year-old was motivated by “Islamic terrorism” before his alleged role in the bloodbath attack that left five others injured.

Three of the people caught up in the frenzied assault in the town of Villach were rushed to hospital in a critical condition last month.

All five survivors are aged between 15 and 36 with one being Turkish and the others Austrian citizens, police spokesman Rainer Dionisio said at the time.

Terrified witnesses reported hearing the alleged knifeman shout “Allahu Akbar” before lunging at his first victim.

Investigators also discovered an IS flag inside the suspect’s apartment, according to state police chief Michaela Kohlweiss.

She confirmed that cops also believe the man swore allegiance to the terror regime.

EPAOnlookers at the cordoned-off Dam Square[/caption]

APPolice officers seal off an area after a stabbing in central Amsterdam[/caption]

EPAPolice cars and tapes could be seen near local pubs[/caption]

In Munich, a mum and her child tragically died from serious injuries after a suspected Islamist terrorist rammed his Mini Cooper into a crowd.

The woman, 37, and her two-year-old daughter were among the 39 injured in the “shocking attack” said to be carried out by a rejected Afghan asylum seeker.

The Mini Cooper is said to have “sped up” and ploughed into the back of around 1,500 Verdi demonstrators – a Berlin-based German trade union – on Seidlstrasse in Munich.

The suspected attack came just hours before the Munich Security Conference that started last month, with US Vice President JD Vance and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky arriving at the summit to speak.

Police said the suspect is a 24-year-old Afghan asylum seeker who, the region’s interior minister added, was known to cops in relation to drug and theft incidents.

News website Spiegel says the suspect is a Kabul-born man named Farhad Noori.

He is said to have posted Islamist content on social media before the heinous incident.

The suspected attack is thought not to be connected to the Munich Security Conference.

More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online

Thesun.co.uk is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *