Bodies of two Israeli hostages recovered from Gaza by military as attacks intensify

This undated photo provided by The Hostages Families Forum Headquarters on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, shows Israeli hostage Ilan Weiss, whose body was recovered in an Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip. (The Hostages Families Forum Headquarters Forum via AP)
The body of Ilan Weiss (left) and one other unnamed hostage have been recovered from Gaza by the IDF (Picture: AP)

Israel’s military forces have recovered the bodies of two more hostages in Gaza.

The remains of Ilan Weiss and another unnamed captive were found just as Israel launched an offensive on the region.

Mr Weiss, 33, was killed during the attacks of October 7, 2023, at Kibbutz Be’eri.

His body was seized by Hamas and has been held for nearly two years by the terrorist group.

His wife Shiri, 53, and daughter, Noga, 18, were both also taken hostage but were released during a one-week ceasefire in November 2023.

Forensics are in the process of identifying the second recovered body, Daily Mail reported.

A total of 48 Israeli hostages remain in Gaza, according to official statistics, of which only 22 are thought to be alive.

Israel’s prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu said his country ‘would not rest’ until the rest of the hostages, both living and dead, are brought home.

FILE - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a press conference in Jerusalem, May 21, 2025. (Ronen Zvulun/Pool Photo via AP, File)
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country would ‘not rest’ until all the remaining hostages were returned (Pictured: AP)
This picture taken from a position near Israel's border with the Gaza Strip shows smoke billowing during an Israeli strike on the besieged Palestinian territory, on August 29, 2025, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas. The Israeli military declared Gaza City "a dangerous combat zone" on August 29, as it prepared to conquer the Palestinian territory's largest city after almost two years of war. (Photo by Jack GUEZ / AFP) (Photo by JACK GUEZ/AFP via Getty Images)
A picture taken near the Gaza border shows a huge cloud of smoke billowing following an air strike (Picture: AFP)
Mandatory Credit: Photo by APAImages/Shutterstock (15460712aj) Displaced Palestinians flee Gaza City towards the southern areas of the Gaza Strip, in Gaza City, on August 28, 2025, as the war between Israel and the Hamas militants movement continues. The Israeli military pressed operations around Gaza City on as US President Donald Trump hosted a meeting on post-war plans for the shattered Palestinian territory. Photo by Omar Ashtawy apaimages Displaced Palestinians flee Gaza City towards the southern areas of the Gaza Strip, in Gaza City,, Gaza city, Gaza Strip, Palestinian Territory - 28 Aug 2025
Palestinians fleeing Gaza City amid a ramped up Israeli offensive in the region (Picture: AP/Shutterstock)

The latest development comes as thousands of Palestinians have been told to evacuate Gaza City ahead of large scale offensive by the Israeli military.

The IDF said it would suspend humanitarian pauses to allow aid in Gaza, while it ramps up its offensive.

Among those that have been killed have been Gazans searching for food.

Earlier this week, a ‘double tap’ attack on a hospital left 20 people dead.

The IDF claimed to have been targeting a Hamas surveillance camera.

TOPSHOT-PALESTINIAN-ISRAEL-CONFLICT
A young Palestinian stands on a street strewn with rubble following an explosion (Picture: AFP)

An initial strike hit a top floor of one of the hospital’s buildings.

Reuters cameraman Hussam al-Masri was killed in that blast while filming from the site, according to a fellow journalist and a doctor at the hospital, along with a second person.

Follow Metro on WhatsApp to be the first to get all the latest news

Apps With More Than One Million Users
Follow us to receive the latest news updates from Metro (Picture: Getty Images)

Metro’s on Whatsapp! Join our community for breaking news and juicy stories.

Health workers in orange vests, journalists and relatives of patients then rushed up an external staircase to reach the site of the first blast.

Photos taken from below showed at least 16 people gathered on the staircase, trying to help those hit. No one on the staircase was seen holding weapons.

Video footage taken by Al-Ghad TV shows the second strike hitting, causing a large boom and engulfing everyone on the staircase in smoke.

Hospital officials say 18 people were killed in the second strike.

The military did not elaborate on why it struck a second time or how it would have identified militants among the crowd on the staircase.

Its statement was issued after an initial inquiry into the attack, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called a ‘tragic mishap’.

He did not elaborate on the nature of any mistake.

KHAN YUNIS, GAZA - AUGUST 27: The camera, press vest, helmet and mobile phone belonging to the Mariam Abu Dagga, one of the five journalists killed in the Israeli army's attack on Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Yunis on August 25, are seen during an exclusive interview in Khan Yunis, Gaza on August 27, 2025. Mariam Abu Dagga, who worked as a journalist for various media organizations including Independent Arabia and AP, was one of the journalists who remained in Gaza to bring the truth to the world. The family of Mariam, a mother of one, stated that their daughter suffered greatly and was exhausted during the attacks on Gaza. (Photo by Doaa Albaz/Anadolu via Getty Images)
A press vest, helmet, camera and mobile phone belonging to the Mariam Abu Dagga, one of the five journalists killed in an attack on the Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younnis (Picture: Anadolu)

The Israel-Hamas war has been one of the bloodiest conflicts for media workers.

Some 189 Palestinian journalists have been killed by Israeli fire in Gaza in 22 months of fighting, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.

On Thursday, an Israeli airstrike killed the prime minister of Yemen’s Houthi government as well as several other ministers.

Ahmad Ghaleb al-Rahwi, who became prime minister nearly a year ago, was largely seen as a figurehead rather than part of Houthi top leadership.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *