Critics have questioned why William Ruto’s motorcade was travelling so quickly (Picture: Reuters)
A British man has died in a hit-and-run incident involving the Kenyan president’s motorcade.
Edgar Riches, 79, a charity fundraiser, had been visiting relatives in the country when he was fatally struck on a road in Nairobi on Thursday.
The driver of a support vehicle that was travelling at the rear of President William Ruto’s convoy has been arrested.
Police say Ruto’s car had already passed ahead when Mr Riches was hit.
Mr Riches, a former banker originally from Poole, Dorset, had spent the past 35 years volunteering with Catholic aid charity CAFOD.
CAFOD said he ‘hundreds of thousands of pounds’ over the years for projects in Africa and in developing countries elsewhere.
The 79-year-old spent his own savings to build a school in Kenya, The Telegraph reported.
In 2019, he received a papal blessing from Pope Francis for his fundraising work.
Authorities say the motorcade travels fast for security reasons (Picture: Reuters)
Ann Stribley, president of Poole Conservative Association, where Mr Riches was a member, described him as ‘incredibly generous’ and ‘kind’.
‘He was private, quiet person but incredibly generous and if he said he was going to do something, he always did it,’ she told the BBC.
‘There’s a total sense of shock and loss. He will be greatly missed. I shall remember him as a kind, quiet and thoughtful, always pleasant, individual.
‘He was a huge benefit to the association for many years and we will be lucky to see his like again.’
The incident sparked outrage on social media, where many Kenyans questioned why the motorcade was going so fast along a busy road.
Authorities have said the motorcade is driven at high speeds for security reasons.
The driver of the government building has been released on bail, according to Kenyan police.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: ‘We are supporting the family of a British man who died in Kenya, and are in contact with the local authorities.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Related Posts:
- Sex worker convicted of killing client in San Francisco News SAN FRANCISCO – A federal jury on Monday found a sex worker guilty of voluntary manslaughter for fatally shooting a client at the Presidio, according to prosecutors. Related Articles Three arrested in Half Moon Bay for shoplifting groceries Peninsula man loses appeal in East Bay double-murder car crash S.F.: Two…
- Sex worker convicted of killing client in San Francisco News SAN FRANCISCO – A federal jury on Monday found a sex worker guilty of voluntary manslaughter for fatally shooting a client at the Presidio, according to prosecutors. Related Articles Three arrested in Half Moon Bay for shoplifting groceries Peninsula man loses appeal in East Bay double-murder car crash S.F.: Two…
- Prince Harry accused of ‘harassment and bullying at scale’ by charity chief News Dr Sophie Chandauka, chair of Sentebale, said the prince had ‘unleashed the Sussex machine on me’ (Picture: Sky News; Getty) The chair of a charity set up by the Duke of Sussex has accused him of ‘harassment and bullying at scale’ after he resigned as patron earlier this week. Dr…
- Prince Harry Is Taking Heat for ‘Bullying and Harassment’ After He Quit His Own Charity Entertainment <p id="par-1_61">Prince Harry doesn’t often find himself on the <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/news/royal-family-deletes-prince-harry-strong-angry-honest-statement-defending-meghan-markle-website.html/">worse end of harassment allegations</a>. But that all changed after <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/prince-harry/">Prince Harry</a> stepped down in March 2025 from the charity he co-founded years earlier alongside Prince Seeiso of Lesotho. Sentebale, an organization designed to bring awareness to the impact…
- Boss of Charity Prince Harry Quit Reveals What the Duke Asked Her to Do for Meghan and How He Reacted When She Refused Entertainment <p id="par-1_58"><a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/prince-harry/?swcfpc=1">Prince Harry</a>‘s name has been in the headlines a lot the last few days but not for reasons the duke wants. On March 27, it was reported that Harry and his friend Prince Seeiso of Lesotho both resigned as from the charity Sentebale which was founded in memory of…
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)