By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN, Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge agreed Friday to block the Trump administration from dismantling the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, an agency that was targeted for mass firings before the court’s intervention.
U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson agreed to issue a preliminary injunction that maintains the agency’s existence until she rules on the merits of a lawsuit seeking to preserve the agency. The judge said the court “can and must act” to save the agency from being shuttered.
Appeals court clears way for DOGE to keep operating at USAID
Wisconsin attorney general sues Elon Musk to block $1 million payment offers
The fate of addiction treatment hangs in the balance with Kennedy’s HHS overhaul
Noted economist honored by Trump warns his 25% tariffs could add $4,711 to the cost of a vehicle
Trump asks Supreme Court for permission to resume deporting Venezuelan migrants under wartime law
During a March 10 hearing, Jackson heard testimony about the chaos that erupted inside the agency after government employees were ordered to stop working last month. The bureau’s chief operating officer, Adam Martinez, said the agency was in “wind-down mode” after President Donald Trump fired its previous director, Rohit Chopra, on Feb. 1.
Trump installed a temporary replacement who ordered the immediate suspension of all agency operations, cancelled $100 million in contracts and fired 70 employees.
Martinez said the agency’s current leaders have adopted a more methodical approach than they initially did last month, when representatives of Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency arrived at its Washington headquarters.
CFPB is responsible for protecting consumers from financial fraud and deceptive practices. Congress created the bureau after the 2008 financial crisis. It processes consumer complaints and examines banks to protect student loan borrowers.
Related Posts:
- A federal judge temporarily blocks parts of Trump's anti-DEI executive orders News CHICAGO (AP) — A federal judge has temporarily blocked the U.S. Department of Labor from implementing parts of President Donald Trump's executive orders aimed at curbing diversity, equity and inclusion efforts among federal contractors and grant recipients. Judge Matthew Kennelly of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of…
- Dismantling Education Department puts students with disabilities at risk News My son is a thriving middle school student with autism whose success has depended on the support of special education teachers and an individual education plan (IEP). At 4 years old, he started his school journey in a public preschool, which receives 64% of its funding from state and local…
- US consumer confidence tumbles for the 4th consecutive month to a 12-year low News By MATT OTT, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. consumer confidence fell for the fourth straight month as Americans’ anxiety about their financial futures declined to a 12-year low amid rising concern over tariffs and inflation. The Conference Board reported Tuesday that its consumer confidence index fell 7.2 points in March to 92.9.…
- Cal State LA students call for financial transparency, sanctuary for immigrants News A group of nearly 100 students and faculty rallied at Cal State Los Angeles on Tuesday, protesting school-wide budget cuts, calling to defend DEI programs, and for the protection of undocumented students. The event was part of a student and faculty-led “Week of Action,” with marches and rallies planned all week…
- Porter Wagoner Took a Major Financial Risk to Get Dolly Parton a Record Deal Entertainment <p id="par-1_59">When Porter Wagoner and <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/tag/dolly-parton/">Dolly Parton</a> started working together, he wanted her to sign to his record label, RCA. The head of the label in Nashville didn’t think this was a good idea, not believing Parton had the <a href="https://www.cheatsheet.com/music/">vocal</a> talent to make it. Wagoner insisted, though. He…
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)