A former Del Mar lifeguard filed a lawsuit against the city alleging he was discriminated against during the Covid-19 pandemic when the city imposed a vaccine mandate and then denied his religious exemption request.
Johnny Seiber had been a lifeguard for the city since 2007, according to a complaint filed March 12 in San Diego County Superior Court. In November 2021, shortly after the City Council adopted a mandatory vaccination policy for city employees, he submitted a request for an exemption based on his Catholic faith.
Seiber’ request was denied the next month, the complaint alleges, and then he was placed on non-disciplinary paid administrative leave. In January 2022, after turning down a reassignment to a seasonal parking position, the city ended his employment.
Reached for comment, Seiber’s attorney Brennan Hershey referred to the complaint:
“Defendants discriminated against Plaintiff by denying his religious accommodation while granting similar accommodations to others,” his complaint alleges, “failed to engage in good faith interactive process by offering only an unreasonable accommodation that would strip him of his benefits and pay, and ultimately terminated him for exercising his religious beliefs.”
Del Mar City Manager Ashley Jones said via email that the city “did consider requests for accommodations by employees based on sincerely held religious beliefs and engaged those employees in the interactive process.”
“Depending on the essential functions of a particular job classification, and if the City could reasonably and safely accommodate the request for exemption, the request would be granted,” Jones said.
The city did not have data available before press time about how many employees did receive exemptions from the Covid-19 vaccine mandate, including for religious reasons.
A case management conference is scheduled for October.
Related Posts:
- Former lifeguard sues California city for rejecting his Covid-19 vaccine exemption News A former Del Mar lifeguard filed a lawsuit against the city alleging he was discriminated against during the Covid-19 pandemic when the city imposed a vaccine mandate and then denied his religious exemption request. Related Articles Opinion: Inventive teaching can improve students’ post-COVID slump ‘The Class’ visits East Bay high…
- Donald Trump sensationally snubs Keir Starmer after rejecting PM’s request for Britain to be excluded from US tariffs News SIR Keir Starmer’s eleventh hour bid for Britain to be excluded from new US tariffs was flatly rejected by Donald Trump, The Sun can reveal. The PM invited the US President to visit the UK this June to sign a new limited trade deal that would swerve new export taxes,…
- A case of mistaken identity kept one man in a California jail for 7 weeks, and cost the other his job News When Michael Buckholz moved from San Diego to Tulsa, Okla., a decade ago, he was looking for a fresh start. He had spent much of his 20s and 30s in and out of prison and jail, and before his last stint there, in June 2011, he had written a letter…
- A case of mistaken identity kept one man in a California jail for 7 weeks, and cost the other his job News When Michael Buckholz moved from San Diego to Tulsa, Okla., a decade ago, he was looking for a fresh start. He had spent much of his 20s and 30s in and out of prison and jail, and before his last stint there, in June 2011, he had written a letter…
- Former world snooker champion looks unrecognisable in throwback pic as 14-year-old prodigy tries to take his record Sports LUCA BRECEL looked unrecognisable when he became the World Championship’s youngest player back in 2012 – now teenage prodigy Michal Szubarczyk is hoping to snatch away his Crucible record. Szubarczyk, 14, is set to become the youngest person ever involved in the World Snooker Championship when he takes to qualifying…
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)