By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press
Former Major League Baseball star Mark Teixeira announced Thursday that he’s running for the Republican nomination for a House seat in Texas.
The former slugger for the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees said he’s running for the 21st District seat currently held by Republican Rep. Chip Roy. Roy has said he’s not seeking reelection and is running for Texas attorney general.
“As a proud Texan and lifelong conservative who loves our country, I’m ready to fight for the principles that make Texas strong and America exceptional,” Teixeira said in a statement posted on X. “It takes teamwork to win, and I’m ready to help defend President Trump’s America First agenda, Texas families and individual liberty.”
Teixeira began his career with the Rangers, and was the 5th overall pick in the 2001 MLB draft. His 14-season career included three All-Star Game appearances, five Gold Gloves, three Silver Sluggers and a World Series title with the Yankees in 2009. Teixeira and his family moved back to Texas in 2021 after he retired from baseball.
In his announcement, Teixeira pledged to work with Trump to secure the border and end “radical woke indoctrination.”
The district’s GOP primary already has another contender — Daniel Betts, who ran unsuccessfully for Travis County district attorney last year, has filed paperwork to run.
The 21st Congressional District covers a deeply conservative area west of both Austin and San Antonio. Teixeira announced his bid days after Republicans in the state Legislature approved a redistricting map meant to favor the GOP in the 2026 election.
Related Posts:
- Elon Musk tried to enlist Mark Zuckerberg to help finance OpenAI bid News By Rachel Metz and Kurt Wagne, Bloomberg Elon Musk tried to enlist Mark Zuckerberg for his unsolicited bid to buy OpenAI this year for almost $100 billion, the startup said in a court filing. OpenAI said Musk identified Zuckerberg, the chief executive officer of Meta Platforms Inc., as one of…
- Newcastle chiefs turn up at Alexander Isak’s house in bid to resolve transfer saga Sports Alexander Isak could still have a Newcastle future (Picture: Getty Images) Members of the Newcastle hierarchy have tried to convince Alexander Isak to stay at the club by turning up at the striker’s house for showdown talks. The 25-year-old has made it clear that he wants to leave the club…
- ‘Edge of your seat’ thriller is gripping fans on completely free streaming service Entertainment The spy thriller you probably missed has finally come to ITVX (Picture ITV) TV fans can’t get enough of a gripping thriller that’s finally landed on ITVX and is already shooting into the streaming service’s top 10. Berlin Station was a US drama that ran for three seasons between 2016…
- Dear Abby: Parents should take a back seat at couples' nuptials News DEAR ABBY: I recently went on vacation and had my cat sitter come by twice a day as she has for the past five years when I travel. For the first time, I also asked a fairly new acquaintance I had met in a reputable spiritual center, and with whom…
- Former Lakers Center Announces Vasectomy In TV Advert Sports For four years between 2012 and 2016, Robert Sacre was a member of the Los Angeles Lakers. After being drafted with the 60th and final pick of the 2012 NBA Draft, the former Gonzaga center spent the first four seasons of his professional career with the Lakers, playing in 186…
(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)