Infamous bodybuilder ‘Purple Aki’ found dead in Liverpool flat

Akinwale Arobieke
Akinwale Arobieke has died aged 64

Bodybuilder Purple Aki has been found dead in his home in Liverpool.

Akinwale Arobieke, 64, was found dead at his home on Devonshire Road in Toxteth.

Merseyside Police said officers were called at about 8.30pm on Tuesday to find Arobieke unresponsive. The bodybuilder was pronounced dead at the scene.

His death is not believed to be suspicious and a file has been passed to the coroner.

A Merseyside Police spokesperson said: ‘We can confirm that emergency services were in the Toxteth area following a non-suspicious death last night, August 26.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

‘At around 8.30pm, officers were made aware of a man in his 60s being found unresponsive at an address in Devonshire Road, Princes Park. He was sadly pronounced deceased at the scene.

A notorious 'muscle fanatic' has vowed to change his bizarre ways after a ten-year order stopping him from touching men's biceps was overturned. Akinwale Arobieke's long-held fascination with pumped up physiques led to notoriety and repeated brushes with the law.
Arobieke has had several brushes with the law

‘The man’s death is not suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.’

Arobieke became a ‘bogeyman’ in Merseyside during the 1990s after approaching young men and asking permission to touch their muscles.

In 1986 he was sentenced to 30 months in prison after being found guilty of the involuntary manslaughter of 16-year-old Gary Kelly, who jumped from a railway platform and was electrocuted by the third rail trying to escape him.

However Mr Arobieke successfully appealed against his conviction and was awarded £35,000.

In 2003, he was sentenced to six years in prison over 15 charges of harassment and witness intimidation.

While behind bars he was made subject of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) which banned him from touching men’s muscles and going to gyms.

Less than six months after the SOPO was put in place, he touched a man’s biceps without permission and was jailed for 15 months for breaching the order.

In 2010, Arobieke was arrested and sentenced to two and a half years for touching a 16-year-old boy’s muscles. He claimed he had been set up.

Arobieke was arrested again in 2015, charged with harassing a young man on a train from Manchester.

Whilst Arobieke was found guilty of the breach, he maintained that he had again been falsely accused as a result of his reputation.

In 2022, he was handed a substantial pay-out from police after he sued the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police for malicious prosecution and misfeasance in public office.

He claimed two unnamed GMP officers carried out a campaign against him to get him into trouble.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *