He was sentenced to nine years in prison at Bolton Crown Court (Picture: Shutterstock)
A rapist who was caught on baby monitor footage has been described as a ‘danger to women and children’.
27-year-old Connor Pennell, from Skelmersdale, was jailed for nine-and-a-half years at Bolton Crown Court after detectives uncovered footage through a camera monitor that was saved to his phone showing the horrific rape of a woman.
The court heard concerns were raised back in July last year in Wigan when officers spoke to the victim who bravely came forward.
Pennell had previously been charged with battery and strangulation, but further evidence resulted in additional charges including rape, non-fatal strangulation and three counts of voyeurism.
Once arrested and interviewed, Pennell pleaded his innocence and even told officers his phone would back up what he was saying.
But when officers retrieved his phone’s data, they found Pennell had recorded footage on a baby monitor, including the horrific rape of the victim.
Connor Pennell will serve nine years behind bars (Picture: SWNS)
The court also heard that on one occasion, the victim thought she was going to die after Pennell strangled her.
In a victim impact statement, the woman said: ‘I was a funny, bubbly, confident, loyal, young girl, and I had many friends who I loved and a whole family who I loved with all my heart and who loved me, I had a life and a future to look forward to.
‘He stripped pretty much every aspect of my life away and has changed the course of my future. I’m not the same person I was.
‘He made me re-live it all, sitting in this court, surrounded by strangers watching videos of myself in an extremely personal state that haunts me. I have flashbacks of everything he has done to me and flashbacks of the trial.’
This Is Not Right
On November 25, 2024 Metro launched This Is Not Right, a year-long campaign to address the relentless epidemic of violence against women.
With the help of our partners at Women’s Aid, This Is Not Right aims to shine a light on the sheer scale of this national emergency.
You can find more articles here, and if you want to share your story with us, you can send us an email at vaw@metro.co.uk.
Read more:
Introducing This Is Not Right: Metro’s year-long violence against women campaign
She said she hopes his sentencing will help other victims come forward and know their ‘voices will be heard, and justice will be served’.
‘Survivors always say the bruises disappear but the mental aspect of it takes much longer and they are right, so I am relearning to love myself,’ she added.
‘I will not let him take any more of me. He [Connor] is a danger to women and children, and I pray that today’s sentencing reflects how powerful it is what one man’s damage can cause.’
Pennell was sentenced to nine-and-a-half years and will be placed on the Sex Offenders Register.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.