Violent man stabbed dad to death hours after being freed from prison early

Liam Matthews left father Lewis Bell to die after stabbing him (Picture: Cleveland Police)

A 26-year-old man who was let out of prison on the government’s early release scheme stabbed a man the day he was let out.

Lewis Bell, 26, a father of one, was stabbed to death after an altercation in a drug den by Liam Matthews, who had been released from HMP Holme House the same morning.

Matthews slashed at Bell with a chisel after spotting two other men fighting with him in the street.

His early release came in the first month the emergency measures aimed at freeing up spaces in overcrowded prisons were introduced.

He was convicted of manslaughter at Teesside Crown Court in Middlesbrough on Thursday, Cleveland Police said.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson vowed to investigate the case fully but said the government had been left with ‘no choice but to introduce an emergency early release programme.

Lewis Bell was a father of one before he was killed (Picture: Cleveland Police)

Macauley Wright was convicted of assisting an offender (Picture: Cleveland Police)

Last year, Downing Street said the early release policy had to be brought in to avoid ‘unchecked criminality’ where the police and courts were unable to lock anyone up because there were no places available.

The prisons watchdog warned it was ‘inevitable’ that some would reoffend.

After slashing Bell, the attackers ran offand threw away their weapons and clothing with the help of a fourth man, who also arranged a taxi to take them away from the scene.

Alongside Matthews, Sean McLeod, aged 23, was convicted of murder, Ashton White, 18, was convicted of manslaughter and Macauley Wright, 26, was convicted of assisting an offender. The three will be sentenced on June 19.

Matthews had been convicted of violent disorder after a street fight in 2023 and was sentenced to 22 months for that crime.

Bell’s family said he was a ‘much-loved father, son, brother and uncle’, adding: ‘Lewis was killed in the most brutal and heartless way. We hold all three males convicted responsible for his murder despite the convictions of two of them for manslaughter.’

Sean McLeod was convicted of murder (Picture: Cleveland Police)

Ashton White was convicted of manslaughter (Picture: Cleveland Police)

DCI David Glass added: ‘Lewis Bell did not deserve to die. This was a pre-planned, sustained attack by a gang who chased him down with weapons in the street. They inflicted a number of stab wounds, one of which was fatal, and they left him to die.’

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: ‘We had no choice but to introduce an emergency early release programme. We did so with protections in place, including exclusions for those serving for serious violent crimes.

‘Like with all serious further offences, this case will be investigated fully so we can take action where necessary.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *