IN the year 2000, a crew of criminals tried to steal a 350million diamond collection from the Millennium Dome.
The gang of hardened villains opened up about their roles in the heist in a new Netflix doc, which is co-executive produced by Guy Ritchie.

The De Beers diamond heist at the Millennium Dome was foiled by police[/caption]

Robbers smashed the ‘impenetrable’ glass housing the diamond[/caption]

But the diamonds had been replaced with fakes[/caption]
On November 7, 2000, a gang of criminals smashed through security barriers at the Millennium Dome in broad daylight with a supercharged JCB digger.
Their plan was to steal a De Beers diamond collection worth £350million, before making their getaway in a speed boat.
If the heist hadn’t been thwarted by the police, it would have been one of the biggest in history.
The Millennium Dome raid thieves were apprehended during a meticulously planned police operation code-named “Operation Magician”.
More than 200 officers were involved, including armed units disguised as Millennium Dome employees and stationed in hidden locations.
The gang smashed through the Dome’s perimeter fence using a JCB digger, deploying smoke bombs and ammonia in an effort to obscure security measures.
But police waited until they shattered the glass protecting the diamonds — which had been replaced by fakes — before storming the scene.
All of the suspects were arrested within minutes, including accomplices waiting on the River Thames and other nearby locations.
Former armed robber Noel “Razor” Smith revealed how one of the ringleaders of the raid, Bill Cockram, told him in prison he believed the botched burglary was “cursed” after two of the perpetrators died.
In 2022, Noel told The Sun: “He told me, ‘There’s a curse on this job like Brink’s-Mat, you know. We’re all gonna die off’.”
Below we take a look at the members of the gang who tried to pull off the Millennium Dome raid.
Lee Wenham

Lee Whenham was imprisoned for nine years[/caption]
Lee Wenham, aged 32 at the time of the Millennium Dome raid, was already under suspicion for car theft, drug smuggling and money laundering.
Police surveillance captured him scouting the security gate and visiting the Money Zone exhibition inside the Dome, where the Millennium Jewel collection was displayed.
Wenham played a role in planning the heist and was sentenced to nine years in prison after being convicted of conspiring to steal the gems, as well as for participating in an earlier failed robbery attempt in Aylesford in July 2000.
Ray Betson

Raymond Betson was jailed for 18 years[/caption]
Ray Betson, who was 39 at the time, was one of the masterminds behind the raid and had a history of criminal activity.
He drove the JCB digger used to smash through the Dome’s perimeter fence and walls.
Betson was sentenced to 18 years for his role in the raid, though his sentence was later reduced to 15 years on appeal.
In 2014, he received another 13-year sentence for a failed security depot ram raid.
Robert Adams

Robert Adams got 15 years behind bars[/caption]
Robert Adams, aged 55 at the time, wielded a sledgehammer to break through the reinforced glass protecting the diamonds in the Dome.
He was arrested on-site and later sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Adams had no fixed address at the time of his conviction.
Bill Cockram

William Cockram was sentenced to 18 years in prison, but it was reduced to 15 years on appeal[/caption]
William Cockram, aged 58 at the time, also played a pivotal role in executing the raid.
He used a powerful nail gun to weaken the reinforced glass protecting the diamonds, before Adams smashed it with a sledgehammer.
Cockram was sentenced to 18 years for his involvement, but it was later reduced to 15 on appeal.
Aldo Ciarrocchi

Aldo Ciarrocchi received a 15-year prison sentence[/caption]
Aldo Ciarrocchi, aged 30 at the time, threw smoke bombs during the raid to create confusion.
His actions were part of a carefully coordinated plan involving multiple tools and escape strategies.
Ciarrocchi received a 15-year prison sentence following his conviction.
The Diamond Heist
Guy Ritchie has co-executive produced a three-part series looking into the attempted diamond heist at the Millennium Dome.

The series features interviews with both the gang of criminals involved and law enforcement officials who investigated and caught them, offering a comprehensive view of the crime.
In a first look at the series, Lee Wenham tells the camera: “In July 2000, we had a team and the target with the Millennium Star.
“I don’t know anything about diamonds, but I think it was a bit of a piss take putting it where it was — the exciting thing was the diamond.
“I decided to myself it was going to be my last job.
“We needed to figure out how to get inside the vault, get the diamond and get away — if we could pull it off, it would be the biggest heist of all time.”
The Diamond Heist drops on Netflix on April 16, 2025.