A Broomfield woman is suing a lodge near Estes Park after she got locked out and stuck on a balcony and had to jump off to escape, breaking her ribs, neck and back, according to court records.
Diana Gathright, 60, was staying at Dao House on April 6, 2023, when she went out onto her balcony to stargaze and the door locked behind her, according to a complaint filed in Larimer County District Court on Thursday.
Gathright was the only person staying at the lodge at the time. Dao House employees stay in a different building and there is no cell phone service at the facility, attorneys with Denver firm Cheney Galluzi & Howard wrote in the lawsuit.
Gathright was on the balcony for three hours in single-digit temperatures and tried to break the window to her room with balcony furniture before she decided to lower herself to the ground to escape. She landed on a snow-covered log which broke multiple bones, lacerated her liver and collapsed one of her lungs.
Multiple other people had previously gotten locked out on the balcony, the lawsuit claims, and the lodge owners should have known the automatic locking doors created dangerous conditions.
Failing to protect their guest is “a breach of (the lodge’s) duties to exercise reasonable care to protect against dangers of which they knew or should have known,” Gathright’s attorneys wrote.
Gathright was permanently injured by the fall and still experiences pain, according to the complaint.
She is seeking unspecified damages for medical expenses, permanent impairment and pain and suffering.
Representatives for Dao House could not be reached for comment on the lawsuit Friday.
Sign up to get crime news sent straight to your inbox each day.
Related Posts:
- Influencer who claims ‘overly large’ breast implants ruined career SUES top plastic surgeon for £1.7m News A TOP influencer is suing a plastic surgeon for £1.7million after claiming her “overly large” breast implants ruined her career. Danielle Mansutti says she was left with “disfigured” breasts and a “very poor cosmetic appearance” after undergoing three operations. Supplied by Champion News Danielle Mansutti is suing a plastic surgeon…
- Influencer sues surgeon and claims ‘overly large’ breasts ruined her career News Danielle Mansutti, 30, is suing the surgeon that she believes is responsible for £1.7million (Picture: Champion News) An influencer who claims her ‘overly large’ breasts are ruining her career is suing a plastic surgeon for £1.7million. Danielle Mansutti, 30, had three operations between December 2020 and May 2021 and says…
- Mum who strangled newborn son to death near theme park then kept gruesome secret for 25 years AVOIDS jail News A MUM who strangled her newborn baby to death near a theme park then kept the dark secret for 25 years has avoided jail. The baby, named as Callum, was discovered in woodland in Warrington, Cheshire, in March 1998. MEN Media Joanne Sharkey killed her newborn son then kept her…
- Huge wildfire breaks out near UK beauty spot with warning issued across the country News A wildfire is ripping through Upton Heath at Poole, Dorset, after a dry spell (Picture: Alamy Live News) A huge wildfire tore through a nature reserve overnight after an exceptional dry spell following Met Office fire warnings. Thick smoke and orange flames billowed into the air at Upton Heath in…
- Inside gloomy tunnels of abandoned UK theme park with creepy bunny statues that look straight out of a horror film News AN ABANDONED theme park with spooky bunny statues and gloomy tunnels has been left to rot. Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire, west Wales, shut its gates for the final time on Tuesday, March 5. Hidden Pembrokeshire - Gareth Davies Photography One bunny with its arms outstretched looks particularly haunted[/caption] Hidden Pembrokeshire -…
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)